Chapter 12

XII

Gwaynn walked slowly with Elise back from the Observatory to their rooms. His leg was feeling much better and with the exercise he was getting with Nev most afternoons he felt sure it would be back to normal shortly. The night was clear and cool, perfect for viewing the distant stars and galaxies. Gwaynn was fast becoming as enthusiastic about the night sky as his small female companion. Kent and a few other students had joined them, but they’d all departed together around midnight, leaving him and Elise alone to wait for Orion to move higher into the night sky. Gwaynn was eager to see the Orion Nebula, and Elise was eager to show it to him. They studied it for almost an hour until the moon rose over the horizon and though it was far from full it shone brightly, as if competing for attention.

“Oh, I’m so tired,” Elise said stifling a yawn, though the truth was her nerves were buzzing, very aware of the young man walking beside her. Her interest in Gwaynn had grown steadily over the past week, though from the very first she’d found him very easy to look at. It was his natural intellect, calm demeanor and the fact that his interests somewhat mirrored her own that seemed to steadily draw her closer and closer to him. And, of course it didn’t hurt that he was mysterious and strong. The only thing she disliked about him was his constant need to carry about those barbaric kali. No matter how she tried to persuade him to leave them behind, insisting that Lato Island was safe, he’d always nod to her in agreement, but then bring them along anyway. The weapons bothered her but they also made him stand out against the rest of the Scholars.

 It did not discourage her in the least that, as yet, he had given no sign of interest in her. She could change that; after all she had with Kent, who was her on again off again lover. Gwaynn was tall and well built though Elise could tell he was young for his size. Young and shy, she liked her men like that; it gave her a bit more control.

Gwaynn made no reply in return just mumbled an agreement, obviously distracted by something.

“I hope you are not too tired,” she said, a little too coyly, hoping to at least hold his hand a bit.

Gwaynn again made no answer just continued to walk.

“Gwaynn!” Elise said, not accustomed to being ignored when she was alone with a boy.

Gwaynn turned to her and frowned. “Keep walking,” he said in a low voice.

“Of course,” she replied. “I’m not that tired.”

“Keep walking and talking,” Gwaynn said, and suddenly Elise could tell he was a bit tense. She smiled, thinking she was the cause of his nervousness. Well, she would give him something to be nervous about.

“Act normal,” he added.

“I certainly will,” she replied and slipped her arm through his. Surprisingly he didn’t act attracted or repelled.

“Good,” was all he said. They moved down a hill and then around a slight bend. They were approaching their building. “Don’t look back,” he added, and it was Elise’s turn to frown.

She was about to ask why when two dark shapes appeared out of the bushes up ahead. Gwaynn slowed to a stop and she with him. Gwaynn looked back, and she followed his gaze. There were three more shapes moving quickly toward them from behind.

“Who are you?” Elise said loudly, somehow hoping that they were students or Masters, but instinctively knowing that they were not. No one answered, and her fears were confirmed when Gwaynn slowly drew his kali.