Chapter 10

X

All day long, Gwaynn kept an eye out for Master Kostek and his students, and even though he spent a good deal of the afternoon wandering the makeshift market alone, he did not spot any of his former companions, nor did he see Leek or his family. As he searched, he found himself at times trying to catch sight of Mille in the crowd, and a sharp pain in his heart always followed.

They stayed the night in Jon’s wagon, despite the fact that they had several offers for much more luxurious arrangements. The wagon suited Gwaynn just fine and he slept well in one of the hammocks placed near the ceiling despite the fact that Jon, located just below him, snored louder than most people could yell.

Gwaynn woke early, and with great difficulty, slipped out of the hammock without falling on Jon, then stepped outside in the crisp morning air. It was overcast and gray, and the damp smell of rain was in the air. Gwaynn frowned, the Competition was due to start around noon and he wondered if it would be called off or delayed, due to the weather. Very few people were up and even fewer were moving around as Gwaynn once again began to stroll about the market. He was used to walking or running first thing in the morning, so without a thought he walked clear through the town and across the river to the western side, where a great many tents were erected. He just crossed the main bridge over the Parm when he saw Leek, holding hands and walking with Mari. His heart lurched and for one brief moment he felt a strange inclination to turn away and hide among the tents before they spotted him, but instead he took a deep breath and made his way in their direction.

“Gwaynn!” Mari yelled when she finally set eyes on him. She pulled her hand free from Leek and ran to Gwaynn, jumping into his arms, hugging him fiercely. She looked and smelled like a little Mille, and he was instantly relieved that he had not turned away from them.

“Have you come to watch the students of Mele compete?” She asked but did not wait for an answer. “We are going to explore the Tent City while Mama cooks breakfast,” she said with a delighted smile, then leaned in close and whispered. “We’re having bacon,” she added and moved her eyebrows up and down several times. “You can come, couldn’t he Grandpa,” Mari implored as Gwaynn put her back on the ground, groaning loudly as he did.

“You must be bigger. You are getting too heavy for me,” Gwaynn told her.

“Gwaynn is always welcome at our table,” Leek said with an actual smile for the boy, and they all continued on with their explorations together. They strolled for a quarter of an hour before a light rain drove them back to the cover of the family tent.

Everyone was thrilled to see him again, though there was an underlying sadness to the meeting. Even Deirdre was subdued and did not attempt to charm him as usual, but the breakfast was nice, and Gwaynn was glad he went.

“Where is Tar Kostek and the students?” he asked Lane, as he prepared to take his leave. They stepped out of the tent, and though Lane was answering him, his words went unnoticed because not a hundred paces away, walking regally through the tent city was King Arsinol Deutzani and trailing just behind him was the Executioner Tar Navarra. Without thinking, Gwaynn made to follow them and was surprised to find that Lane was holding him back. Something of his murderous thoughts must have shown on his face because Lane, though angry and upset himself, only shook his head sadly at Gwaynn.

“It’s him, is it not?” Lane whispered, still holding Gwaynn by the arm.

Gwaynn nodded.

“Not here,” Lane added.