"Do you love him?"

"I dunno. Maybe," Ruby replied, a hint of uncertainty in her voice.

"Well, today is your lucky day," Io said with a smile. "I just happen to know everything there is to know about love."

Ruby's eyes sparkled with curiosity. "Really?"

"I have a wonderful and charming boyfriend named Ixora."

"I'd love to hear more," said Ruby, "but I should probably be goin' home."

"I would like to come with you," Io offered.

"That's fine with me," Ruby said with a nod and a warm smile, welcoming Io's company.

Io followed Ruby to an opening in the field, and then along a dirt road leading to a large, white, two-story, Greek revival antebellum house with a wraparound porch, a red front door, and green shutters.

"This is my house," Ruby said. "It's a real nice place."

There, standing on the front porch, Ruby's mother was waiting with a shotgun in her hands. She was in her mid-forties, with a long, stringy grayish-brown mane of hair, and a hat that was hung low on her forehead. Her face was stoic and stern, and her eyes glowed with a steady, cold blue. She wore a dark green dress with a high neckline, and old leather shoes.

"Where have you been?" her mother asked sharply. "Did you think I wouldn't notice you were gone?"

"I'm sorry, Ma," Ruby said.

"Who's your new friend?" her mother inquired, her eyes narrowing slightly as she focused on Io.

Io stepped forward, her approach composed and diplomatic. "I am your daughter's guardian angel," she lied. "My name is Io. If you permit me, I will ensure that no harm ever comes to your daughter."

Ruby's mother's skepticism was evident. "How do I know you ain't really an agent of the devil?" she questioned, crossing her arms defensively.

Io's response was unyielding. "Jesus said I was his close, personal friend," she asserted. "And you know you can trust him."

"Good enough for me," Ruby's mother conceded. "Take good care of my daughter."

Ruby's mother walked through the open door into the house. Io and Ruby followed. The parlor was a large, airy, open room with a high ceiling dominated by a large, ornate chandelier that cast a soft light over the room. The floor was a dark hardwood, covered in a thick, soft, purple carpet, and the walls were white, covered in ornately carved wooden panels. On the other side of the room, there were several couches and chairs, and a large fireplace next to a staircase.

"Wow," Ruby whispered to Io, her voice filled with awe. "I didn't think that'd really work."

Io's response was confident and self-assured. "I did. And that's all that matters."

"So, did you really know Jesus?"

Io's answer carried a sense of familiarity. "You mean Yeshua of Nazareth? Indeed I did, but enough about him. Tomorrow, I would like to meet this Henry you were talking about."

"But Ma don't want me bein' 'round him," Ruby said with a touch of worry.

"I don't care what she thinks," Io stated firmly. "You should have the freedom to associate with whoever you want."

A trace of agreement emerged in Ruby's voice. "You might be right."

Io's certainty remained unshaken. "Of course I'm right. If your mother tries anything again, I'll handle it."