Jay nodded.

Before they left Grace watched in fascination as her life time friend bent down and kissed his mates neck.

Daisy's eyes flashed open, the startling blue piecing into Grace and her soul.

She felt suddenly winded, as if she was caught intruding upon a private scene she should not have, when they were right in the open for everyone to see.

She could see the challenge in Daisy's eyes.

Mine.

Grace felt a sense of longing. For what she did not know but she wished she and John had cute nicknames for each other. She wished John was as powerful as Jay and held the authority and command that he did. She wished maybe, that he was strong enough to hold her hand through one of her tests and to make her feel safe and loved and like she had enough strength and power to get through this.

She wished. She wished.

Jay and she drove silently back.

Grace had watched the whole time as Daisy's figure slowly shrunk within the background.

"I made a mistake," Jay said.

Grace glanced at him before looking out the window. She knew that if you gave Jay enough time he would explain himself.

"I should not have made John my beta."

Grace gave Jay a small smile, "No you shouldn't have. You should have made Stephen."

Jay gave a small snort at the idea of Stephen being Beta. "That would have been interesting."

"He's the only one who challenges and questions you. You know that's a good quality to have. He doesn't blindly do what you say."

Jay thoughtfully looked at the road, "true."

He looked at Grace and met her sad smile, "I just wanted you to be comfortable. I wanted to help you in some way. To know you would be safe."

"I know," Grace said, "I realized what your plan was, too late to stop you, but I know what your intentions were. You should have done it another way though."

Jay's shoulders sank as he stopped in front of Grace's house.

He rolled the window down slightly and smelled, "John is not here. Probably on a run."

Grace felt herself relax. She was tired of the pitying looks and sorrow that filled John's eyes. The sudden burst of tears and uncontrollable emotions that would overwhelm him.

She was tired of being the strong one.

"You can demote him if you want," Grace said as Jay helped her out of the car and up the porch steps, "tell the pack you need a Beta and John will be too busy watching out for me."

Jay looked out at the forest that was a distance away, "I'll try," was all he said.

Grace sat down on the rocking chair on the front porch and smiled up at Jay. She had missed his presence. His sound, his smell- the way his words would sooth her.

"Stay," she knew it was wrong to ask of her when he had so many other responsibilities, but she couldn't let him leave her just yet. She pointed to the rocking chair that was next to her.

Without a word Jay lowered himself in it.

"How are you and Daisy," She said it as a sort of conversation starter, but quickly noted the pained look that escaped Jay's eyes.

"Good," he said, his emotions showing none of his flickered hidden pain that had previously been shown.

Grace stared Jay down as he watched her. His shoulders seemed to sag slightly as he let out a long sigh.