Chapter Fourteen: I get a laugh outta starin' in darkness

WE DITCH THE already wild party, neither of us looking back as we walk. We don't talk as we let our feet guide us, moving to a destination our minds don't know as we walk side by side. Xerxion's gaze passes over me once in a while as we walk down the crowded sidewalk, my shoulder brushing against his arm. Xerxion is a warrior who leaves countless opponents at his mercy, so I'll let you imagine just how muscular that arm is as it brushes against mine. Never have I ever felt so... soft.

Now that we are forced to walk close together so we don't lose each other in the crowd, I am forced to take notice of how tall he is. He looms over me and just about everyone else we pass. Even many of the men look like dwarfs next to him. We've never really been this close before and when we are even remotely close, my brain seems to shut down and his height is the last thing on my mind. Now, as I sneak a glance at him, watching his long legs as they move him forward confidently, I think I'd say he was at least 6'7.

In my memories, he wasn't quite so tall. I think that maybe that might have been because I was taller in my alien life than in my human one. Now that I'm thinking back, Ithuriel, Fauvian, and Halcyon were all pretty high up on the height scale, too. Although, I recall Xerxion saying Ithuriel was from a planet called Solis and was definitely not Niburian, maybe such height was an alien thing.

Because me? Well, let's just say I'm not the tallest girl in the world. In fact, a girl of normal height could stand beside me and feel like a supermodel. The only thing someone could really like about me is my personality. And honestly? I'm lacking in that department, too.

Xerxion pulls me into a nearby Chinese restaurant and right at that moment, I decide that he really is my soul mate. Without me even speaking, he sensed my need for food. And bringing me to a Chinese restaurant further compliments him in my eyes.

Xerxion lets me order since he admits-a tad sheepishly-that he is not really sure about the restaurants on Earth and the large menu seems to give him anxiety.

When I've ordered, Xerxion reaches in his back pocket and whips out money to pay. Money as in American currency. I cannot help but raise my brows in surprise.

I still have so many questions for Xerxion and I plan to get my answers to said questions tonight.

After a few minutes, we're seated in a corner booth at the far end of the restaurant, surrounded by food. Xerxion is looking at it all wide eyed, hands at his sides as if he's afraid to touch it.

I pick up a pork bun, lips twitching as I desperately fight a smile. "I've never tried the pork buns here," I admit, biting down. The flavor explodes in my mouth and I nod my head, my mind, and body in complete agreement: we're going to eat all these pork buns ourselves.

Glancing at Xerxion as he reaches for one of the pork buns and studies it inquisitively. He leans toward it and takes a bite. Once he does his eyes widen as he swallows it, looking at the pork bun the same way I look at pork buns: with awe.

"A pork bun?"

"A pork bun."

He continues eating the pork bun, not nearly as hesitant anymore, his eyes sweeping over to the Lo Mein, the egg rolls, and the fortune cookies. His eyes sweep over to my plate and he tilts his head to one side, curiosity all of his face.

"What's that?" He wonders, leaning forward to get a better look.

"It's called Laziji."

"Laziji?"

"Yeah, um... it's got this marinated deep fried chicken and..." I twist my lips as I try to explain it, then shake my head, deciding I can't. "It would be better if you tried it yourself." I looked at him very seriously as I said, "I'm about to do something I've never done before."