For now I dipped my head in approval while my hands gently probed the wound. Discolored odorless liquid and blood pooled around my finger before running down Benji's side to the dark earth below. Against my flesh the blood and liquid felt warm especially with the cool air around.  

Unresponsive while I was examining the wound, Benji's sudden thrashing as I buried my index finger to the second knuckle, came unexpectedly.

Growling at the disruption as it made it harder to work, though Kaelyn's hold kept Benji from moving too much, I buried my finger deeper. Blood and liquid continued to run down his side, but it was not a lot, and there was nothing that could be done about it.

After moving my finger around as best I could and not finding any type of metal that would indicate a bullet, I withdrew it. Knowing that the wound was only from a blade, I placed a poultice on the wound. His chances of surviving did not increase much with the poultice, but it would keep the wound protected long enough for him to reach Notredram. Even so, it was not going to be an easy walk to the Walled City.

While I put the unused supplies back into my bag, I asked, "Who did this too you Benji?"

I did not like the idea of a group of rogue barbarians wandering the land, not when home was only a few days from here. Judging from the smell of slightly decaying flesh and dried blood, he had been walking for at least a couple days. Blood poisoning took about that long to set in, but one could never be sure. Having a group of rogues this close was not a good thing, but for all I knew Benji could have been attacked a week ago, which could have been anywhere in a thousand square miles.

Before I could do more I became aware of the uncomfortable feeling one gets when blood begins to dry on skin. This was by far not a new feeling for me, and while I normally would have left it to peel off on its own, I had Kaelyn to think about now. She was still very new to this world and despite my desire for her to get used to it, doing her this small favor would not be a problem.

Directing Kaelyn to cradle Benji's head softly with her palms, I quickly but thoroughly cleaned my hands. Once I had scrubbed the blood off of them, I asked if Kaelyn did not mind holding him while I examined his pack. First shaking then nodding she finally answered, "He won't go anywhere. I may not be much but I can take care of a patient."

Nodding my head in understanding I undid the strap keeping the pack closed. Carefully as not to damage anything I found exactly what I would expect. Besides the usual spare change of clothes, the bag held a small collapsible shovel, a canteen, a box of ammo, and a day of food.  Surprisingly the bag felt unusually light, and pulling out the ammo box I understood why. Rather than holding bullets the box held a hand full of herbs. I was surprised to find them, as they were a fairly common sight in the woods, though perhaps Benji had an interested buyer.

Putting everything back how it had been, I had just barely closed the bag when Benji emitted a low groan. Looking back towards him, I noticed Kaelyn watching the middle aged trader's eyes flutter behind his eyelids. Though I should have focused on the task at hand, I could not help but notice the warm look she gave towards him. Observing her look was not the only thing my eyes took in, as they noted her shoulder length brown hair, a straight but dipping at the brow nose, round rosy cheeks, and a moderate tan. Such looks would no doubt raise questions from people as to how a beautiful person such as Kaelyn came to be in my company.

Before I could avert my gaze, her eyes shifted from Benji to me. Caught gazing at her, I waited for the shrieks she had emitted the last time she had disapproved of my actions. Instead she nodded her head as if to say that my looking had been ok. Benji took this as the perfect opportunity to wake up as he groaned before sighing, "Well this is a nice change."

Barely smiling at his comment, I lectured him, "Nice to see you have your priorities in order Benji." While I said this I felt my body tensing ever so slightly at Benji's comment. Kaelyn was far too young for Benji, and even though I knew he had been joking I still felt protective towards Kaelyn. Besides being a female, she was my partner in all business aspects and I would not have someone mistreating her.

Closing one eye he glared at me from where his head lay, while saying, "Course it had to be you who I meet. I thought you did not travel this late into the season."

In spite of my desire to talk about the trading season, neither of us had the time. Though conscious and bandaged, Benji needed a doctor, and I was not going back to Notredram yet. Before I sent him on his way, I needed to know who had attacked him and where. No one threatened my family and if this new group was such a threat I would show them the error of their ways before winter came.

Growing anxious at the thought of a group of people out there wanting to cause trouble I prompted Benji, "Where did this happen?"

Looking up with some aid from Kaelyn, he replied, "Three days ago, South Forest. Jumped me at dusk. Took my furs and would have killed me if I had not unloaded into them. One stabbed me and I stumbled later and clubbed my head on something."

Needing to know who it was I pressed, "Who Benji, who?"

Sitting up he replied, "Called themselves Wolves or War Wolves. I don't know. Said their leader was the Wolf King. Sounded like a bunch of nonsense but they did look like what the Northern Sea Raiders are supposed to look like."

Having heard the same stories as Benji, I knew exactly who he was talking about. War Wolves were trouble and I did not want them anywhere near my family. Yet if the stories were true they traveled in groups of twenty and I could not take them on alone. Besides few people lived in the South Woods and if they were smart they would leave. War Wolves never strayed far from their boats without being in large numbers. 

Knowing that Kaelyn was confused and that Benji needed to get moving I replied, "When you get to Notredram, talk to Shaw. He has influence with the town council and is most likely to help."

Like most Outlanders Benji did not trust City Dwellers and snorted at the mention of Shaw. Not in the mood to argue I snapped, "He cares about us. The South Woods holds herbs that the city needs, and the farmers help feed his people.  He will agree out of necessity, and the guard will drive the Wolves out in a week or two."

Snorting a second time Benji replied, "A week or two. Those people need help now."

Despite having known Benji since I began trading, I was losing my patience with him. Kaelyn must have noticed a change in my complexion as she cut in, "Benji, you yourself nearly died from an encounter with these War Wolves. The guard can fight them and then the farmers and others who live there will be safe again."

Surprisingly this did it and Benji calmed down. Shrugging his shoulders he with help from Kaelyn stood up. Handing him his pack, I offered one last word of council, "Make friends with Shaw. He is a fair man and has yet to cheat me or any other trader."

Stepping closer so that Kaelyn could not hear I whispered, "When you see Shaw tell him that the girl is safe and I will take care of her and treat her as an equal."

Backing up so that Kaelyn did not become suspicious I added, "Safe travels friend. Until we meet again."

Without a look back Benji back walking towards Notredram. After a moment of watching I offered to Kaelyn, shall we have lunch now?"