Chapter Three

Chapter ThreeAwakening

Chapter Three
Awakening

In the dark corners of my unconsciousness, there was a sight too menacing to put into words. Despair inked into the starless sky above me, and I stood by a shallow, murky pool tucked into a mountainside. I went to sit on the rocks surrounding the water. I couldn't fathom what I saw and if it were simply a lucid dream. Had I passed out? Was I home?

The dense foliage in this deep woodland caused me unease, and I felt stuck in place. The rocks were oddly warm, my feet were bare and brushed the blades of grass. What an odd scene. It was so vivid.

"Little girl," A raspy voice whispered, bubbles boiled in the pool to each word, "this is your awakening. Better hurry home."

A brutal, rumbling laugh caused the water to rise toward me in a wave, and I couldn't run. After my breath was drowned by the rushing water, my limbs seemed to melt away. Until my eyes opened again.

I jolted up right, and realized I was on the floor of the food court. Skylar was on his knees by my side. At least a dozen people surrounded me, all with relief as I exhaled labored gasps. I felt fine now, but my lungs were constricted. The rest of me was better than ever. Oddly, I never felt so good, physically that is.

"Are you alright, Alice?" Skylar asked, tears welling in his eyes.

I wasn't sure of what happened, but now was not the time to tell him what I had seen and heard. It may just be a dream, but bystanders would think I'm looney.

After insisting I was fine a hundred times to both Skylar and curious, concerned bystanders, I dragged Skylar back outside with our shopping bags.

"We should go to a hospital, Alice. You turned white as a sheet, and your eyes nearly rolled back in your head when you fell off your chair." He stood by me as I hailed a cab. "You looked like you were seizing."

Once we slid into our seats, I brushed him off, "I think I just passed out. That vision or dream I had was what worried me. It felt real." I stopped and laughed ruefully, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you, Skylar. I even find it hard to."

"It was just a dream. Unless you're psychic now, Alice." Skylar played it off as a joke, but I glared back at him. His smile fell rather quickly as he absorbed the severity of my words.

"It was real. I felt everything just as I do now. It was like my nightmares; I was lucid, but I couldn't control anything." I sighed and fought against my instinct to scream out in frustration.

"Just forget it." I muttered to the silence between us. Since my house was the first stop, I shoved fifteen dollars toward the cabbie and grabbed my bags.

Skylar exhaled, "We still working on homework?"

I shook my head, "No. I'm going to sleep off this dream."

Skylar rolled his eyes, "Jesus. Fine. Message me in the morning. I'll see you at school."

I held back the anger that caused my fists to tighten around the plastic bags. Without a word, I walked to my door and watched as the cab drove away.