Chapter 34: Men don't cry

'V-very funny 'Mione. P-please s-stop being f-funny.' Ron stuttered in disbelief. She looked confused,
'What do you mean. I'm not trying to be funny and my names pronounced her-my-oh-nee. You still haven't told me your name. Ron backed out of the room holding back tears

Be cool. Don't cry. Men don't cry.

He thought to himself.

Calm down. She's probably pretending because shes mad at you. Be cool. No! Don't let that tear fall. Oh, why don't you ever listen to yourself.

His thoughts sped up as quickly as his face became soaked in tears. He went back into the small room with the mirror and Mrs Granger instantly grabbed him comfortingly.
'I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry.' She kept repeating to him. Ron didn't try to get away. He let his 'cool' leave him and stood crying, watching a confused hermione being fussed over by healers.

Three hours later, Ron was still sat in the hospital but the Grangers had left for the night. He had his head in his hands and his head wouldn't stop pounding. Eventually, a few healers walked in with an explanation for him. One began,

'We think we have a conclusion on why she can't remember you.'

'So she wasn't joking then.' Ron kept his head buried.

'No, sadly she wasn't. Anyway we think the reasons for this is that nobody was talking about you to her for months and she couldn't think of anything nice about you and her brain just decided to push the memories away. It's hard to explain but isn't that rare. About 1/200 people will experience this.'

'But she still can't remember anything about me. She can't remember anything at all.'

'No, but we are almost certain she can get her memories back. We are planning on letting hermione come back to school in a couple of weeks. When she's there, remember to spend a lot of time with her and think of memory triggers. Don't try to rebuild her memories. It's VITAL that she remembers herself or she could go into a relapse and not remember anything - ever.'

The group of healers left. The news made Ron feel slightly better but he still sat in the room for the whole night.