Benjamin laughed, no trace of guilt on his face. "I startled you," he quickly advanced grabbing her by the cheeks and pulling. "I apologise, I cannot help it. You, bookworms, are such easy preys to this." Margo rolled her eyes at her friend's antics. He stopped and admitted sheepishly. "Subconsciously, I guess I am also trying to make up for the pranks my little sisters subjugate me to daily. What is worse, nowadays Celine is teaching the twins new tricks, my once peaceful home has become a minefield with these crazy sisters of mine," he tiredly sat in a chair near the entrance, sighing dramatically. 

Sitting herself opposite him, she laughed. "That is exactly why your siblings are my friends." Speaking about pranks..."Ben, did you happen to see anyone in the alley when you came here?"

"No, it was just me, why?" I have just received a life threatening warning. "No reason," she replied.

After a few moments, Ben scooted closer to the edge of his seat, his green eyes taking a sober glint  "Margo, you know you can trust me. You have always been like a sister to me and as your unofficial older brother there is a rumour in town that unsettles me. Something about a well off gentleman pursuing you, is it true?"

She sighed. Burying her head in the sand like an ostrich and denying the truth would do no good. Especially now since the certain gentleman  had started to occupy her thoughts more and more each day. Especially since she shared a first, rather passionate, kiss with the certain gentleman. 

Margo took a big breath and nodded. Ben jumped. "It is in fact the truth, Ben.  You need to sit down for this." She proceeded to tell her friend about her father's fateful gambling night, how it resulted in her arranged marriage, her hurt anger at her parent and her chaos of feelings regarding her fiancee. The incident with monster attacking Boore was carefully overlooked. Some secrets were best to be kept. 

"–and after the day spent at the horse farm with him and Thomas, my eyes were opened to a different side of him, a side that is neither domineering nor conceited, a side that can be compassionate, a side that I can begin to..." 

She stopped herself in time. A bit timid she had shared too much, Margo carefully tried to assess her friend's current state of mind. Throughout her speech, the young man had jumped from his seat, slammed his fist on the small table between them, ran his hand over his head at least a hundred of times all the while alternating cursing her father and Zachary to hell and back. His present stillness and silence troubled Margo. 

"Ben,–"

"What did you say his name was?" he interrupted her abruptly.

"Zachary Frost."

He nodded solemnly, a faraway look in his eyes "I promise I will look into his history. If there is anything rotten about this man, I will try my very best to unbury it to the surface."

"Thank you, Ben. I really appreciate it." Margo observed her friend. He was very deep in thought, probably looking over all possible scenarios of escaping her impending nuptials. His defence mechanism was certainly better than her own nervous breakdown when she had first found out about her situation. Deep down, she had known that every girl her age would feel lucky to be chosen as bride, after all spinster hood was almost a guaranteed destiny for those over twenty two. Too bad, she did not feel blessed at all for her twist of fate. 

She decided not to share her gloomy perspective to Ben, overwhelmed already by what she had shared so far. Out of the corner of her eyes, she noticed his form still suddenly. His gaze was on the immense window near them. It overlooked the street which now overflowed with commotion. He seemed to be transfixed by something in the crowd. Tracking his gaze, she noticed his bother.