“If you weren’t the size of an atom and so adorable, you’d be in serious trouble for the amount you abuse me.” I said before giving him a big kiss on his chubby cheek. The innocence and purity of kids could sometimes make one forget of all that’s wrong with the world. I looked up to see mum and aunty Asma with smiles on their faces.

“Why do you both have creepy smiles?”

“It’s good to see you smiling again.” Mum said and with that my smile vanished. Why did people say that? It only reminded me that I hadn’t been happy lately and why I hadn’t been happy lately.

While I waited for the men to come home, I was trying to make Zidan say ‘Safia’ but the closest he got was, ‘Fa.’ But the whole time my mind was playing different ways of how the conversation would go. When I had enough, I took out my phone to text Hamza and ask him what was happening. As soon as Zidan saw my phone, he snatched it out of my hands. When I tried to get it back, he started crying. I let him take it. After fiddling around with the buttons, he threw it on the floor and my phone finally came to its end.

I put Zidan down and picked up my phone, the battery and the back cover. When I put it together it wouldn’t turn on. I tried taking the battery out and put it in again but it wouldn’t work. In the end I threw it down in frustration.

“Here, give it to me.” Aunty Asma said. I gave her my phone and she fiddled around with it. “Don’t worry, I’ll ask Yahya to get you a new one.”

“What perfect timing for my phone to break.” I muttered under my breath. “Aunty, can I borrow your phone please?” She handed it to me, and I texted Hamza.

   Asma: This is Safia, my phone broke (completely gone this time). What’s happening?

Then I sat staring at the phone waiting for a reply. First the doorbell rang and I grabbed the phone thinking that it was the phone making the sound. It was Tariq at the door and he took Amaan with him to pray Taraweeh. A few minutes later the phone really started ringing and I jumped. I looked at the caller ID and it said Esha. “Aunty, your friend’s calling.” I said handing her phone back to her.

“Aslamu’alaykum Esha, how’s Isa?” Aunty Asma greeted as she always did. That was the only way I remembered Aunty’s friend’s name. Her and her husband’s names sounded a lot alike. Then aunty gasped. A few seconds later she squealed.

“Masha’allah!” They talked happily as I impatiently waited for their call to end. Finally aunty cut the call and handed her phone back to me. “She’s pregnant.”

“Masha’allah.” I replied and continued staring at the phone. Finally Hamza sent a text.

   Hamza: About to pray Taraweeh. Talk when I come home.

“They’re about to pray Taraweeh. I think we should too.” My stress levels went down a bit, knowing whatever happened was now over. I was getting sick and tired of all the thoughts in my head. I went and drank a glass of water hoping it would help calm the nerves I felt at the pit of my stomach.

All of us girls gathered in the living room and prayed together. 40 minutes later, we all finished and sat down in a circle. I used to love this moment of Ramadan. Every evening all us girls would sit together and talk until the boys came home. I always wanted them to take really long but this time it was different. I couldn’t wait for them to come. What news were they going to bring of Yusuf?

Amaan and Tariq came back and Aisha left to go home with Tariq but dad, Uncle Yahya and Hamza still weren’t back. I was pacing the room impatiently when I finally heard the sound of keys rattling in the lock.