Best Friends

When I arrived at school the next morning, I was surprised to see my boyfriend Austin, fumbling in his locker located next to mine. I spun the lock to its correct digits and retrieved the books for my next class.

Austin wasn't as popular as some of the other boys in our school, which was fine with me. However, I think his love for marching band came before our relationship. It was something I tried to understand, seeing as how my passion for the stage took up most of my time.

"I thought you had rehearsal this morning," I said, closing my locker.

Austin faced me, his sea-blue eyes locked in on mine. "Today's Friday. We practiced sectionals for the graduation parade. Are we still meeting after school?"

"For coffee?"

Austin's hands dropped to his sides. "Did you forget?"

"Shoot, Austin. I didn't really forget. It's just I received good news from Reyersen. Now Mom wants to visit housing units and—"

"And you forgot."

I shoved my books into my backpack. "I forgot. Can we get together later? I've got rehearsal from 3:30 to 9:00 tonight. And all weekend."

Austin shook his head. "That's cool you're going to Reyersen and all, but I think you're selling yourself short by choosing to be a student director. I love watching you on stage."

"How am I selling myself short? I've been in every play since freshman year, landing lead roles in all but one. I wanted to take a break and get a feel for what it'd be like behind the scenes."

"Whatever." Austin slammed his locker closed.

"Can't you at least be happy for me?"  

"I'm trying to help you out."

Where's this coming from? "Help me? You're the coolest band geek I know, but you don't know the first thing about acting. I've got this. What's your problem anyway?"

"Devin's my problem. She's spazzing out on James."

Before I could ask Austin what my best friend had done to make him so cranky, the bell sounded, sending the other students and us darting into our classrooms.

As I sat at my desk in history class, the discussion about our upcoming exam on prohibition and the Great Depression escaped my ears. I was desperate to talk to Devin.

"Oliana. Answer the question please." Mrs. Lynn raked her red fingernails through her dark hair and wrapped it into a twist. "When was Black Tuesday and what was its significance?"

"That was the stock market crash of twenty-nine and the beginning of the Great Depression."

"Give me a date?"

"October 29th."

"How long was the Great Depression?"

"Twelve years."

"And what ended it?"

"World War II."

Mrs. Lynn curled her lip and clicked on the power-point. "Correct."

That was close. Although, if she paid attention, she'd realize that history was my favorite subject and trying to trip me up wasn't a good idea. I leaned back in my chair and went back to texting Devin. "I have something to tell you."

"Me too."

Twenty minutes later, class ended. Devin and I exited the room in single file and inserted ourselves in the open space lagging behind the crowd entering the lunchroom.