There were enough boys at my school that were beyond hot, but once they opened their mouth, my desire to date—gone.

Mom pushed me at arm's length and closed the gap between them. "I'm a recovering alcoholic and always will be until the day I die. I will not let you, or anyone else beat me up for mistakes I made years ago. Daniel has grown into a healthy young boy, and my doctor assured me of that. Now get the hell out of my house!"

Mom stalked over to the front door, opened and slammed it behind Marc after he left.

What if it's true that we create our demons? Is Mom being punished for drinking during pregnancy? Were Daniel's seizures tied to Mom's alcohol use?

Even though we didn't share the same DNA, my brother and I had forged a bond over the years—a bond I prayed was strong enough to withstand any battle that either of us might face.

If Marc sued for custody and won, I'd be the only child left of our family of four.

Later that night, Mom came into my room, smiling as she handed me an ivory colored envelope. Seeing her smile was a relief. It was as if the confrontation with Marc had never happened.

I looked down at the return address and read the bold lettering on the envelope. It was from Reyersen Drama Academy. My heart raced. I had waited eighteen months for Reyersen to reply, knowing that they had a two-year waiting list. I tore open the envelope and read:

Dear Oliana,

Congratulations on your admission to the Reyersen Drama Academy! As you know, we're very selective and take pride in our students. It was your portfolio and audition that landed you a spot at Reyersen.

For forty years, RDA has watched aspiring talent walk through our doors with hope and leave with confidence as they set out to fulfill their dreams. As you settle into your classes, you'll meet and learn from the best talent who've honed their craft and worked hard to get where they are. Welcome to our family. We look forward to your success.

Jamie Thompson

Director of Admissions

"Are you headed to Reyersen?" Dad walked into the room, beaming a smile. His Texas accent had softened with age. But his need for a new pair of cowboy boots once a year was still strong.

I ran into his arms and held up the letter. "I got in. I can't believe it."

"I believe it," Dad said, hugging me.

Dad's name is Norman. It suits him, along with his blond hair sprinkled with bits of silver and his blue eyes. He looked sharp in his white dress shirt and tie. If you didn't know, you would think he worked for the corporate world instead of in the hospital as a neurosurgeon.

"I better tell Devin."

"Your mother and I are going to make dinner. Love you." Dad backed out of the room with Mom leading the way.

I snatched up my phone and texted Devin the good news.

"I had no doubts."

"Talk to you at school tomorrow," I said.

"Did you find your old wig so I can use it for the play?"

Shoot. "I'm getting it right now." I darted out of my room and up the stairs leading to the attic where I tore through boxes labeled Stage. After a few minutes of searching, I stared at the opened boxes scattered around the floor. In a few weeks, I'd have to sort through everything and decide what costumes and accessories would stay with me and what one I would donate to the high school.