16. Where's The Peace?

Start from the beginning

No matter how hard she'd try to forget, one just cannot remove the fact from their mind, the way it's all ruined, making their little family turn to a lifeless one.

Scarlett remembers her father, James being so positive knowing about her relationship with Dylan. He waited eagerly to witness their wedding. He had always liked him, since the beginning. As they both had similar upbringing, the things were too spontaneous. Scarlett believed they had the same attitude and outlooks on life and events. They used to get each other without having to explain and understanding each other was a boon. Now when she looks back, she slightly doubts if it was really the case or was it just her – assuming them or whatsoever. James knew Dylan way better than she ever did. She used to think that having her father liking him was a plus point to her.

However, her mother did not like him at all from the very start. Her displeasure became extreme after knowing about her daughter dating the person whom she strongly disliked. She had always detested him and certainly, deep inside in her heart, she was glad after realizing that he was finally out of Scarlett's life and heart. Only if she knew!

She was not content when their wedding was announced, but seeing her all smiles with him, certainly made her change her opinion. That was what Scarlett had actually thought. Why her mother could never like him was still a mystery to her.

Brushing away the redundant thoughts, she sighed, big time as she let out a long breath, attempting to relax down her tensed nerves.

"I'm sorry; you had to go through all this." Scarlett heard his interfering voice and she instantly gasped. Instinctively, she turned only to confirm his presence behind her and apparently, she was not hallucinating. It was indeed him.

Damn! What is so wrong with him? Would he ever leave me alone? Scarlett thought aggressively to herself.

"Dylan," his name rolled out in disbelief and the next moment, she glared at him violently. She noticed him smile a little, which markedly was a forced one. Looked like the devil was finally done with his mightiness.

"Will you ever leave me alone?" Scarlett exclaimed contemptuously, passing him an angry glare.

"Scarlett, I wasn't following you," he started, his eyes twisted in objection following her indignant remark. He further continued in a low tone, "I didn't find you in your office. I felt you could be here, so I'm here," he explained standing alongside, staring at the water.

Her gaze squinted his way as he just stared to his adjoin, trying to avoid looking at her.

"Dylan," she warned.

He sighed as he carried a blank look, "I wanted to have a little talk," he stated casually, fishing his hands deep inside his pockets.

"Oh really, and what's that?" Scarlett snapped turning sideways and facing him completely as she folded her arms giving him a challenging stare. Her lips curled up in infuriation. His silence irritated her excessively.

However, she reminded herself that it is nothing but a way to hassle her. Eventually, it would not take him a moment to go back to using his smug and proud remarks. She shook her head in disbelief as she turned to leave. She'd just walked a few steps when his voice was already there, and prevented her from leaving.

"Do you still believe I was behind all that?" He questioned unexpectedly, his voice thick making her stop in her tracks. Slowly but surely, she stood right there for a while – completely bewildered.