Ice

Matty and I spent hours on the porch, talking about everything you can imagine.

The party seemed to die down after a while and eventually the music stopped, the rest of the house going to sleep.

I had no idea what time it was, but I knew it was late. Later than I usually stayed up because I started to yawn and had trouble keeping my eyes open for long.

We stayed on the porch, sitting in comfortable silence, listening to the crickets chirp and the other night sounds that usually went unheard.

"Are you still awake?"

My eyes snapped open as I saw Matty looking at me from his chair. I lifted my head off of my knees and put them on the ground, rubbing my eyes.

"Yeah, I am." I said with a yawn.

"I was worried you fell asleep and the gnats were going to eat you alive." he chuckled.

I smiled and rubbed my hands over my face, standing from my seat.

"Do you want to see if there's any alcohol left?" I asked, grinning.

He laughed and stood from his chair.

"For never drinking before, you are quite the daredevil."

We walked downstairs to see people asleep in anywhere you could imagine. On the floor, the couch, on the table, on top of other people, probably the most uncomfortable places you could've chosen to sleep. Going into the kitchen, more people were asleep on the floor, one of them being George, hugging an empty bottle of vodka. I tapped Matty on the shoulder, pointing to him and trying not to burst out laughing.

"What a wanker." He laughed, turning back to the cupboards.

He sifted through the random boxes and cans and found a tall, dark green bottle near the back. He turned around with a smile of triumph and tiptoed around the sleeping bodies covering every surface.

I followed Matty back upstairs and watched him peek into rooms until he found one that was empty. He waved me in after him and motioned for me to sit on the bed, closing the door behind him.

"Looks like we lucked out, I found wine." He said with a smile.

I returned the smile and watched him try to open the bottle with his hands.

"It probably would have been a good idea to grab a bottle opener." He laughed, pulling on the cap with more force.

I reached out my hand, taking the bottle and opening it with ease. Matty's face filled with shock.

"You said you hadn't drank."

"I haven't. I've just had practice."

He laughed and took it from me, drinking it straight from the bottle.

"Classy." I laughed as he offered it to me.

I took it from him and took a small sip, letting it the taste cover my tongue.

"I like it." I concluded, handing it back to him.

We drank back and forth until the bottle was empty, barely saying a word. The bedside clock read 4:46am, meaning the sun would be rising soon.

"Wow, it's late." Matty stated, looking at the time. "Or early, rather."

We laughed tiredly and I looked up at him.

"Do you want to go back to the porch?" I asked.

"Sure."

We left the bedroom and went back towards the porch, sitting in the same chairs we had left.