"Why did you?"

Song: "Sign of the Times" by Harry Styles

❄️❄️❄️

|| B. COOPER ||

Today is the day Jughead comes back home.

I put on a grey sweater with a white collar and a pink skirt that went down to my mid-thigh, my hair free from its usual tight ponytail. Instead, I had it on a loose half-ponytail, letting most of my hair hang around in waves past my shoulders. I refused to cut it throughout the year and so it grew longer, and honestly, I like myself better with longer hair. I put on very light make up, just like the way both Jughead and I like it. Among the millions of things Jughead loves about me, it's the fact that I'm 'beautiful' without even having to try that makes him more attracted to me.

And he said that so himself.

Today is my birthday, although my parents had to spend it away from home, as always. But this time, that didn't make me disappointed because I have crappy parents—I'm happy that I'll finally be free to run away with the love of my life. It's only been a eyar, but it felt like it's been decades since I last saw him or even talked to him. Like he promised my father, he'd cut all forms of communication with me, and I understand that action—it was to ensure himself that I would be kept safe. He knew that my father isn't the best father, but he is a man of his word, and no matter what, he'd always stand by what he said.

The door bell rang—could it be him? My heart raced as I struggled to keep the wide grin off of my face, miserably failing in the end. "Give me a second!"I called out, taking one last look on the mirror before running down the stairs, anticipated to see my beanie boy and how much he has grown. Taller and leaner than he was before, or perhaps buffer and stronger features? I can't pick between the two, but I'm more inclined to see him as he was before—tall and lean, just like he was before Toledo happened.

I opened the door, a bright smile on my face. "Jughead!"I exclaimed, ready to throw myself into the arms of my Romeo, but then it seemed as if a sudden force knocked me back down on the ground, putting my feet back planted on the ground. My smile quickly faded away, replaced by a confused and slightly irritated frown.

"Do I look like Jughead to you?"Veronica asked, wearing a dark violet sleeveless dress that hugged her curves tightly, the exact same way Archie liked it. Her handbag was hanging from her arm, dangling past her elbow as she held her phone in her hand. "But anyways, happy birthday! I can't believe you're eighteen years old!"she said, pulling me in for a hug, a smile on her face. I forced a smile as well, disappointed to see Veronica instead of Jughead—Veronica may be my girl best friend, but for today, it's Jughead I'm waiting for.

"I love you Betty, but we are gonna be late, Betty-baby. We have to move!"She knew nothing of the promise Jughead made to me years ago—I was fifteen and it was just months after he turned sixteen, just a couple of months before I turned sixteen as well. He's nineteen now, and it's been three years since I last spoke to him. Not exactly three years, but almost three years. I could never forget that night—he wasn't supposed to leave, but he took my place only to keep me safe.

I grabbed my backpack, locking the door before heading out to school with Veronica, smiling as I tried hard to pay attention to what she was talking about. It was something about Archie and his grades, and now I just can't help but wonder how my Jughead is doing in school. Who knows, he might still be in school right at this moment, waiting for lunch time to come around, which is when he will be skipping the rest of his classes and get on the noon bus back to Riverdale and surprise me for dinner and take me back with him to Toledo or somewhere else. That would be romantic, don't you think?