20- Don't Ever Kiss Ass

Start from the beginning

When they have finished slipping into their shoes, we head out of the room. With a final look back, I close the door behind me hoping to leave behind all the stress, worry, and fear that have become routine these past few days. Elena, Allegra and I head onto the elevator, soundtracked by the strange jazz version of Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke. Seriously, who decides what songs to play as elevator music? And who finds these weird jazz versions of popular songs? Whoever they are, they need to be fired--immediately.

With an echoing ding, the doors open into lobby, where my eyes land on Mickey. His back faces me as he sits in the lounge section. His dirty blonde hair is perfectly combed into its usual quiff and his strong back is hunched over as he plays with his phone.

"Kai," calls Allegra, who is now standing beside Castilia and Elena at the entrance. I avert my eyes in order to stop staring at Mickey. Hopefully, no one noticed that. I speed walk toward the girls. Once I stand beside them, Castilia asks us to call Mickey over. Of course, Elena does the honor. 

"Mickey! We're leaving," she yells to him.

His head pops upward to look at Elena and with a nod, he gets up and heads toward us. Dropping his bags, he picks up Elena and kisses her forehead, causing her to chuckle. He then gives a hug to Allegra. When he releases her from his grip, he looks at me briefly but soon looks away. "So," he says to Castilia. "Let's go."

The spring air tickles my skin when we get outside. I stand there, exhilirated by the warm air brushing against my skin. 

"We'll be escorting you back home," says Castilia pointing toward her white police car. 

"We?" I ask. 

"Barry and I," she replies.

At the mention of Barry, Elena claps excitedly and runs toward the car. "Barry," she yells, opening the backseat door and hopping inside. 

"Elena," calls Allegra after her sister. She runs to the car and gets in causing Castilia to laugh. 

"I guess we know who's riding with who now."

I nod. "Yeah, I guess so." My enthusiasm to go home has just lowered. Allegra and Elena riding with Castilia and Barry means I'll be stuck with Mickey. We already basically hate each other. The only things, or people, that stop us from reenacting a scene from the Hunger Games are Allegra and Elena. Now, there's nothing stopping the awkwardness or full out war that is very likely to occur. So much for me being furtive. 

Mickey sighs heavily and walks to his car loading his bags into the trunk. Relunctantly, I walk over and place my bags inside, while Castilia enters the police car, waiting for us to finish. When I enter Mickey's car, he is already inside. He makes no motion to acknowledge my presence but waits for Barry to pull out of the parking lot. Mickey drives close behind, not allowing any cars to come in between them.

The silence in the car makes me shift in uneasiness and uncertainty. I begin to twiddle my thumbs. It's one of those moments, one wishes their phone wasn't dead. Unfortunately mine is, and it leaves me no other choice but to alternate between sleep, staring out the window, and playing with my hands. It's absolute torture.

Finally, I can no longer take the urking silence. "Can I turn on the radio?"

Mickey looks at me in shock, surprised by my voice.  He shurgs. "Sure."

Leaning over, I fiddle with dial trying to find a suitable station. I stop when I hear the soft powerful voice of Lorde. The voices of the radio fills the car and makes the awkardness a bit more bearable--still uncomfortable, but bearable. Soon the highway and tree scenery outside blends and transforms into a familiar neighborhood. Mickey reaches his arm out, turning the volume of the stereos down.