Chapter XV

Chapter XV
Aragorn

It was fairly exhausting, commanding a battalion. The night was going to be a long one; already the rain had soaked the ground and was dripping from the stone wall of the Keep's defenses.

"Faeg i-varv dîn na lanc a nu ranc," (Their armor is weak at the neck and beneath the arms) Legolas said. I glanced over at him, but his eyes were fixed over the wall on a new target.

"Leithio i philinn!" (Release the arrows!) I called. A storm of arrows rained down from behind me, each hitting a target.

"Did they hit anything?" I heard Gimli ask Legolas from down the line.

Each battalion released a series of arrows one by one, all marking their targets, but their army was huge; there was no way we could take out the ideal number with arrows. They started to advance until they were at the base of the wall, loading ladders up.

"Pendraid!" (Ladders!) I yelled, and drew my sword. "Swords! Swords!"

The first few ladders reached the walls, dumping drenched Uruk-hai soldiers onto the wall. I slashed easily through the first few and started advancing along the wall. As I'd said - I could never exactly anticipate each fight, but I knew what to do and that I'd be ready when the time came.
-
Mireclya

As I sat dejectedly in the armory, flicking a discarded, blunt arrowhead back and forth, I thought back to the conversation I'd had with Aragorn that had landed me here in the first place.

"Aragorn, I can fight!" I insisted, storming around the front of the table to face him.

"I can't stand the idea of you nearly dying on me again, Mira," Aragorn said firmly.

He stared into my face for a few moments. "I cannot lose you," he whispered, barely making a sound.

I sighed. "Alright! I don't want to argue. But I'm not going down to the caves. I'm staying here. I'm helping anyone who comes here - it'll be like a health center, only it provides weapons, too."

"Mireclya, I just got you back, I don't want -"

"Aragorn. Before I almost died, you never tried to stop me from doing what I wanted to do! Just let me do this one thing to help in the battle." There was no way he could refuse that. He knew I would always have to do my primary duty - watching out for myself and for others.

"That was before you almost died! Before I realized how much I need you in my life. Before -"

I had to cut him off, then. I didn't want him to be worried about me during the fight, because he knew I could handle myself. I shut him up by kissing him.

"Before that," he finished, pulling back.

"Aragorn," I said, smiling a little. I drew my hands up his chest and to the necklace I gave him. "I'm staying right here. I won't fight unless it gets breached. I'll help anyone who comes my way, just have some faith in me. I know you know I'm right. Just because we're us now, it doesn't mean we're any different."

"Okay," he breathed. He kissed me softly and then turned to the door. "I'd better go."

"Yes, you do have a battalion to command."

I flicked the arrow head a little bit too hard, and it bounced off the door. I swore under my breath and stood up to go get it, and as I did, something started battering against the door. I frowned, and attached the arrow head to one of my arrows. "What is it?" I called through the door. Muffled sounds came back, but I couldn't recognize any language.