The Devil's Offspring

Start from the beginning

Once I was over the finish line, I slowed down, downshifted into second gear, coming to a stop, before downshifting into first gear. Pulling up next to Grace, I pressed down on my brakes, and nodded for her to walk toward me. She grinned, handed the flag to the girl next to her and sauntered over, flipping her hair behind her.

"Hey, Brady, congratulations on the win," she said as she stopped next to me, placing a hand on my arm.

"Yeah, thanks. Do me a favor?" I asked, pulling my helmet off, and running my fingers through my hair, pulling it back from my forehead.

"Only if you promise to take me for a ride," she replied, smiling, seductively, her hand moving up to the back of my neck.

I hesitated for a short moment, knowing that soon I would be telling people that Porter and I were 'dating'. If I took Grace home, I would technically be cheating. I was asking enough of Porter, this was something I couldn't ask her to accept. "Sorry, Grace, not tonight. Tell Cade to get my money before he leaves."

Flipping my visor back down, I shifted the handlebars to my left, and took off down the road, towards my house.

***

Remembering that Porter lived on the rougher side of town where we usually raced, I'd headed over to her house, pulled up, and waited for her to get back from work, knowing that if I wanted my plan to work, her and I needed to talk. After a few bruises from her heavy bag-I swear the girl was out to bruise or scald every inch of my skin-some very dirty thoughts about her ass and legs-she was hot and I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't fuck her until we were both exhausted-I made my way home.

Walking into the kitchen, and placing my helmet on the counter, I walked over to the fridge, and pulled it open. "Hey mom," I greeted, shaking my head with a smile when she growled. Sitting in the shadows, the lights turned off, it was pretty obvious she was waiting to jump out, and scare me. She'd most likely been downstairs after one of her rare nightmares, and had heard me pull up.

"How the hell do you always do that?" she grumbled, flicking the light on, and taking a seat at the kitchen island, a cup most likely filled with tea, between her hands.

Grabbing some leftover casserole, I grabbed a fork from one of the kitchen drawers, and headed over to the island to sit next to her. "Nightmare?"

She nodded, her hand reaching up to ruffle my hair, and I pushed it away with a scowl. "What happened to your eye?"

"Nothing you need to worry about," I told her, around a mouthful of casserole. I heard her sigh next to me before placing her cup on the counter.

"You and your brother are gonna drive me to an asylum," she mumbled, and I smiled around a bite of my food.

"We tried that already, remember? Dad broke you out," I told her, jokingly, and she laughed.

Momentarily distracted as the back door opened, Caden walking in, his bike helmet in one hand, I took the chance to grab her cup of tea off of the counter. Taking a big gulp, I placed it back in it's spot before she noticed it was gone.

"Hey, bug," she greeted him with a smile. He looked up and gave her a smile, before placing his helmet next to mine on the counter.

"Hey, momma," he replied, walking over towards us. He leaned down and gave her a kiss on the cheek before turning towards me, and tossing eight one-hundred-dollar bills on the counter. "You left without that."

I grabbed the money off of the counter and handed him his cut. Even though I'd won fair and square, Caden and I had always split the money when one of us won with each other.

My mom watched us pocket the money, shaking her head. "I would ask where that money came from but I have a feeling I won't like the answer to that."

"We're being safe, mom," I reassured her, and she gave me an incredulous look, her lips set in a tight line. Giving her an innocent smile, I avoided her eyes and distracted myself with my food.

"Momma, what's to eat?" Caden asked, and she turned to give him a frown.

"Why are you asking me? I'm not the cook in this house," she replied, raising an eyebrow.

"Right," Cade replied, and moved in the direction of the hallway that led down to the bedrooms. Before he could make it two steps, however, our mom pulled him back by his elbow.

"Um, where exactly do you think you're going?" she asked him with raised eyebrows.

He stared at her like she should already know the answer. "To wake up dad."

"The fuck you are-"

"Language," I scolded her, hiding a smirk. She glanced at me to give me a glare before turning back to Cade.

"Your father is tired and it's two am. Get your ass in the kitchen, and make your own damn food," she told him sternly, pointing to the kitchen, making him groan.

"But I can't cook," he reminded her with a pout, and I rolled my eyes. Cade had always been the more dependant one of us, learning pretty quickly that he could get our parents to agree to coddle him with a pout and a few fake tears. Mom had eventually laid down the law, but it took our dad a few years to learn to do the same. If mom hadn't pulled Cade back, preventing him from waking him up, I knew without a doubt that our dad would get up, and cook Cade something to eat. He was a sucker when it came to his kids and food.

"Tough shit, buddy, you're not waking your dad up. I didn't raise you to be an asshole," she told him and he sighed, resigned.

"Fine, I'll make a bagel. Do you want one?" he answered, giving up. She patted his cheek, gave him a proud smile, and shook her head no. He moved towards the kitchen and began pulling out the stuff he would need.

Turning back towards me, my mom gave me an optimistic smile."So...I met this girl at the grocery store yesterday-"

"Not happening."

"But-"

"Not happening mom, so let it go," I told her, firmly and got up. Grabbing the empty container and fork, I placed a kiss on her forehead and walked over to the kitchen sink.

"Why won't you let me set you up? I have excellent taste in women," she replied,  and I fought the urge to scoff. She couldn't be serious. You could literally line up nine perfectly fine girls, and one psychopath with stalker tendencies, next to each other, and she would pick the psychopath. Every time.

"Right, because setting me up with skin-coat makers and sperm harvesters is definitely what I would call good judgement when it comes to you picking out women," I shook my head, turning the faucet on and running the water over the container and fork before pulling the dishwasher open and placing them in it.

"That was one time, Brady. One time. I mean seriously, you set your son up once with a girl who's obsessed with him and wants to harvest his sperm-yuck, by the way-and you lose your credibility," she muttered. I turned towards her with a raised eyebrow.

"Let's not forget the preacher's granddaughter. I mean what were you even thinking? Have you met the pastor, the old asshat-

"-Language,"

"-the old bat is out of his mind."

"He's right, though, what were you thinking? Did you forget the pastor hates our family?" Cade added from his spot by the toaster, spreading cream cheese on his toasted bagel. "He calls us the Devil's offspring...And he thinks you need to be committed for marrying dad...and having his offspring."

She turned towards him with a scowl. "Eat your bagel."

"You know he's right, mom. The man is insane, and so is his granddaughter," I told her, shaking my head.

"They're not that bad," she mumbled, guiltily, bringing her cup of tea to her lips to hide behind it.

"He came after me with a shotgun," I reminded her, sarcastically, and she sighed dramatically.

"Fine, maybe that was a bad idea. But-"

"Night, mom," I interrupted and walked out before she could say anymore. Unfortunately for me that wouldn't be the end of that conversation, which was why I needed to get my plan underway.