Chapter 17: He Lives

Chapter 17, He Lives

It sounded so simple; defeat Gary, then hopefully Jessica would wake up, then she could defeat Alexander. Why couldn't they be like the characters on TV, and in their video games? They made everything look so easy...

John sighed, great, how were they going to defeat Gary? And if they somehow found some way to defeat him, how would they break that bloody stone? And where on earth was Gary? He could be anywhere! John decided to go for a walk to clear his head...

The fresh air was good, and the sun was bright today. John hadn't noticed that he was walking in the direction of the field. Everything was as it was before; the grass and flowers were all dead. That was another thing to take care of, those stupid imps. Suddenly John heard a cry from up ahead. He dashed forward. A girl was sitting in the middle of the road, she looked young too. Perhaps seven or eight, and looked as though she'd hurt her ankle.

"Hey...are you alright?" John asked, concerned.

The girl looked up; she had long black hair that was fastened in two pony tails. It looked as though she even had a few white streaks in her hair.

"I think I hurt my ankle," she muttered.

"The school I go to is near here, why don't you let me help you?"

"Umm...," she hesitated, "Alright..."

John smiled and carefully lifted her up. "Why don't you tell me a little about yourself while we walk?"

"Um...ok," she still looked slightly nervous.

"You don't have to say anything if you don't want too, I mean I am a stranger to you, I guess."

Less than an hour later the girl was sitting in a chair in Lindsay's room. The nurse who helped them had declared that she had a sprained ankle, and should take it easy. They were going to let her stay there for a while, and Lindsay had taken her in, with Jessica being ill and all...

"So, what's your name sweetie?" Lindsay asked her, smiling.

"Umm, I'm Marie," she said timidly.

"Nice to meet, you I'm Lindsay and this is John, who helped you," Lindsay said smiling.

The girl smiled back at her.

"Oi! What about me?" Matt asked, annoyed.

"Oh that strange boy over there, that's Matt," Lindsay said.

The girl giggled, "Hi, strange boy."

"That's the spirit!" Lindsay said, overjoyed.

"Lindsay, if my name is 'strange boy' from now on, I'm going to kill you."

"Good luck Matt, you'll need it," Lindsay said, flashing her hypnotic eyes.

"So, Marie, where is your Mommy and Daddy? We need to call them and tell them you're here," John said, reminding them to stay on topic.

"Oh, my Mommy and Daddy are in heaven. I live with my big brother."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Lindsay said sympathetically.

"Do you know his number? He's bound to be worried."

"We don't have a phone."

"How are we going to tell him you're here then?" Lindsay pondered.

"I can tell him," Marie said quietly, as her eyes turned purple, "There, he's coming."

"You can use telepathy? That's wonderful!" Lindsay exclaimed, "You can help me bug Matt!"