Chapter 5: The Family Reunion

Chapter Five, the Family Reunion

Everyone looked shocked as they watched John.

Matt spoke first, "Dude, you're related to a criminal?"

John nodded his head sadly; hurt shimmered in his green eyes. "Gary's my older brother; he's four years older than me." He said quietly.

Jessica touched John's arm gently, "It's ok John, it's not like we're going to hate you for something your brother did."

John looked at her sadly and nodded weakly.

"Let's go for a walk, we can talk out side where there are less people." Lindsay said standing up. Matt followed her, while Jessica guided John slowly out of the school.

Once they were outside Jessica spotted a puddle on the ground. "That's odd, it didn't rain today." she thought.

"Thanks for not hating me guys." John said.

Matt dragged a stick in the puddle while lazily listening to John. All the sudden the puddle seemed to leap up; and Matt yelled in surprise as it soaked him. The "puddle" then changed into a boy who looked to be about eight years old.

"Ha, I totally got you that time Matt!" the boy yelled happily.

Matt shook his head and water droplets flew off in every direction.

"Tom, would you knock it off already? You're such a brat!" Matt said annoyed at the boy.

Aww, he's so cute and sweet!, Jessica thought.

"He is NOT cute and sweet!" Matt yelled, annoyed. "He's my worst enemy! Curse you and your water, Tom!" Matt shrieked.

Jessica and Lindsay just giggled; even John managed to smile weakly. Matt walked off into a corner and started doing some stuff with fire; he seemed to be making a huge fire ball.

"Look guys! This is the biggest one I've made yet!" Matt yelled triumphantly. Jessica, Lindsay, Tom and John turned to see a massive ball of fire the size of a table in Matt's outstretched hand. Tom took a step closer to him.

"No! Stay back you infernal beast from the abyss!" Matt yelled moving his fire ball away from Tom.

Tom just smirked and sent a small ball of water at Matt's fire ball, which went out with a sizzle.

"Why did you do that? It took me weeks to make one that big!" Matt wailed in dismay. Tom just smiled and said he had to go and study for his next test on how to control water.

"He's such a good boy studying for his test!" Jessica cooed.

Matt just shot her an exasperated look before marching off to his room to dry off.

Lindsay smiled, "What a cute kid Tom is." she said.

John, Lindsay and Jessica continued on their walk.

"Let's go to the forest." John said grimly.

"Aww, cheer up John." Lindsay said.

"I just can't believe after all these years; my horrible brother has broken out of jail." John said sadly, "And stealing the stone that has Blackdeath's power?" John just shook his head.

A little chipmunk suddenly hopped on Jessica's shoulder. "Well hello there, what's up?" Jessica asked, speaking in chipmunk language.

The chipmunk's eyes widened and it squeaked, "Very bad! Bad things happening! Big black energy around tree!"

"Can you show us?" Jessica asked it. The chipmunk nodded and dashed off. "Follow that chipmunk!" She yelled and sprinted off after it.

"What's going on?" asked Lindsay. "The chipmunk said there was some black energy surrounding a tree; I thought that we should check it out." Jessica replied.

As they reached a clearing Jessica saw the chipmunk point to an odd tree before dashing off.

"I don't like this one bit. I'm turning into a wolf, watch for any odd movements."

John said as he turned into a big black wolf. He growled at the tree threateningly. The tree seemed to shudder with the black energy glowing around it. Then the tree broke in half, revealing a boy who looked to be about nineteen or twenty years old.

"Well hello dear brother." The boy said coolly.

Jessica screamed and Lindsay gasped. The boy fit the description of Gary Fisher exactly. John growled at the boy and snapped at his feet, forcing him back a few steps. John then straightened up, and returned to human form.

"Ah, I see you remember me little brother." the boy said icily.

Just then, they heard a rustling behind them as Matt jumped over a bush.

"I finally finished drying off thanks to that annoying brat, then I get back and you guys ditch me-"Matt stopped mid sentence. He looked from the boy to John, then to Lindsay and Jessica, and back to John again. "Who's the freak?" Matt asked.

The boy smiled coldly, "Ah, it's a pleasure to meet you, call me Gary." the boy said smirking. The boy was in all black clothes, and he had black hair just like John's. He looked nearly exactly like John, except that he looked older, and his cold emotionless eyes were midnight black.

"Gary, give me the stone, and you won't get hurt" John demanded.

Gary laughed coldly, "What are you going to do Jonathon? Turn into a wolf and eat me?"

John turned into a wolf and snapped at Gary's leg, while Gary was distracted.

A thin stream of blood trickled down his calf.

Gary winced, "That's no way to treat your brother Jonathon." he said menacingly before stretching out his hand and firing a bolt of black energy at John. John leaped back still snapping, and lounged at Gary's other leg.

"Hey! No one bugs Johnny but me!" Matt yelled, while summoning a ball of fire and hurling it at Gary's head.

Jessica and Lindsay jumped out of the way as a bolt of black energy nearly hit them. Jessica grabbed a rock off the ground threw it. The rock collided with Gary's head.

Gary yelled in rage, and unleashed another bolt of black energy at Jessica. The bolt collided with Jessica this time, and she was slammed back into a nearby tree. She clutched her arm and moaned.

Matt and John went berserk, Matt fired rapid blasts of fire at Gary, while John longed at him snarling, with snapping jaws. Lindsay ran over to Jessica and pulled her out of the way just as a blast of dark lighting zapped into the tree she had been standing by seconds ago.

John turned his attention to Jessica and Lindsay for just one second to see if they were ok. Gary noticed, and in that fleeting moment, dodged one of Matt's fire balls, and shot a dark blast of lightning at Matt.

As John turned his head as he saw a blast of dark lightning headed toward Matt's heart. Matt started running but he wouldn't make it, the blast was far too fast for a human to outrun. The world seemed to move in slow motion as Gary disappeared in a puff of black smoke, and Lindsay screamed for Matt to get out of the way. John's heart thundered in his ears as he dived in front of Matt just as the blast struck. John howled in agony, the last thing he heard was Jessica screaming his name before the world went black.