"I will agree to lift Josanna's punishment - at least the part about her union - and allow you to be united," Milo began, ignoring the squeak of surprise Josanna let slip. He could see that Algar's frown was deepening with his words. But he also knew he would be given the courtesy of finishing, before he voiced his protest. He turned his attention to Josanna to see if she would do more than just make absent noises. "You have at least had the grace to show remorse for your actions towards Leo. If you agree to court and be united by the end of the year, then I will lift this single stipulation of your punishment," he explained how things would work, unsurprised that both Josanna and Algar gave their answering replies at the same time.

"Yes," Josanna squeaked excitedly, a broad smile on her face.

"No," Algar's deep tone silenced the whole room. He and Josanna had spoken at the same time, talking over one another and yet his quiet, subdued voice won their attention. "True mate or not, Josanna has shamed me. She will see her punishment through. You owe me that much, Alpha, if you truly wish my happiness," he spoke with determination and an unwavering stare. He didn't even glance at Josanna or acknowledge her willingness to unite with him.

Milo felt Katarina's discomfort with Algar's phrasing, but he could explain that way later. He bowed his head to Algar, in a promise to see to his wishes. "Of course,"

"If - and only if - she has learned her lesson by the age of twenty-one" Algar began, with determination. "then I will agree to court her for a year to ensure the feeling is true. I will only unite with her when I am convinced of her feelings," he admitted calmly, with a little more coolness in his voice than Milo knew Katarina would approve of.

***

Josanna glared at Algar for making such a stipulation to her punishment. He hadn't consulted her or even acknowledged her answer.

"Will you both give us some time to discuss the matter privately?" Milo asked Algar and Josanna, determined to get rid of them, since they were both being a pain. He waited until they had disappeared into the hallway, before turning to Katarina.

Well, what do you think? He asked, sitting back and smiling as Katarina fit her small frame into the crook of his arm.

He's certainly within his right. Katarina allowed, thoughtfully. Josanna did a terrible thing and even now she's only agreeing so that she gets out of her punishment. Although I'm not sure I approve of the way he says that you owe him. She frowned as she admitted to her unease. She didn't like or respect anyone who made demands on the Alpha, even before he became her mate. For Algar to say such a thing was so out of character; he was usually the most loyal of the whole pack.

But I do. Milo sighed, gently brushing his fingers through her hair. He's been loyal and dedicated to me, far more than anyone else has been, ever since I became Alpha. He understands that I'm only offering this for his sake. He wants me to know that if I love and respect him as I claim to, then I'll do whatever makes him happy. He confessed to Algar's thought process. He wanted to handle his mate his own way and every shifter deserved that chance.

Shouldn't being with Josanna make him happy?

Milo thought about that. He wasn't sure that it was enough for Algar, at the moment. He was too raw, too hurt for too long by Josanna's ignorance and refusal to even search out a sense of her true mate. Not right now. Right now his heart is already broken and he's not sure he wants to fix that. He's strong enough to suffer the grief alone and not let on about it. He thinks he can keep refusing her long enough that he'll never have to unite with her.

Katarina was shocked. She didn't see how that made any sense at all. It does, little wolf. If you think of his feelings as similar to yours, when you kept your distance from me.

He's doing this for her. She realized, in surprise.

Because he thinks that she already knows they're true mates and she refused him on purpose. Milo smiled as Katarina lifted herself to look at him. He believes that she was so ashamed of her true mate that she used spells to fashion herself a more respectable mate. He said, quietly adoring her. She was so beautiful, even more so than before, now that she was pregnant. There was so much he longed to do with her, to tell her. There never seemed enough time for it all.

Katarina conceded that point. And knowing Josanna, that could be true.

Exactly. Her sister is mated to the Alpha. Why shouldn't she have someone just as important? Milo agreed, as he leaned in and nipped her earlobe, playfully. She knew fine well that he didn't want anything more than just a few minutes alone with her, to adore her.

But Algar is so wonderful. She protested.

Milo laughed and thought about that. Hey, don't go getting any ideas. He didn't want her getting any thoughts about other men being wonderful or attractive.

I'm just saying. Katarina giggled and squirmed in his arms, giving him ideas.

Well, say it to someone else, where I can't hear you. Or do I have take you upstairs and remind you who your husband and true mate really is? He asked teasingly.

To distract her, he caught her mouth with his and kissed her long and hard, letting her feel his love for her through the lingering show of affection. Without hesitation or surprise, she kissed him back. He could feel his wolf demanding retribution, but he decided not to risk it. They did have visitors after all.

You seem better after your sleep. She noticed, smiling faintly as she brushed her thumb across his lower lip.

Milo knew that look; thoughtful but enticing. She wanted more kisses, more talking, more privacy. And he so badly wanted to give it to her. He decided there and then that once their talk with Algar and Josanna was over, he was locking the house doors and shutting them away from the world for a few hours. I am. And I wasn't going to, but I'll explain why after we deal with this. He wanted her to know that there were reasons he had planned on keeping certain information from her, but that it didn't seem quite so logical now.

Why weren't you going to? She asked, with complete understanding.

Milo shrugged and gave her the most honest answer he could. He said, Because I was worried about you, little wolf. Your whole system is in an uproar with the pregnancy. I don't want you getting the wrong idea and getting upset. But if you promise to listen and trust me, then I will tell you everything you need to know.

Katarina watched him closely for a moment and then sighed in disapproval. Why do I sense a catch in there somewhere? Need to know, not just everything? She pointed out his sly wording so that he would know she couldn't have the wool pulled over her eyes so easily.

No baby, because everything would hurt you. What you need to know will make you happy. Milo laughed and kissed her lips again, letting the touch linger and turn into a gentle nip of the corner of her mouth. His wolf very much wanted to come out to play, but he had to be sensible.

All right, fine. She sighed, in agreement. But just know, Alpha, that after we have this baby, I might never let you get me pregnant again, if you're going to turn into some overprotective papa bear. She teased him openly, her eyes shining as she said the words. He loved it.

Hmm...I'm a wolf, not a bear. I think I need to remind you of that.

Before Katarina could utter a word or move away, Milo kissed her and simultaneously turned her body into his. He really didn't care about their waiting guests as he took a few moments to torment her and let her know that each moment with her was a moment of pure joy.

By the time her fingers brushed through his hair and he gently lay his hand over their growing baby, they were lying on the sofa, entangled in one another.

Milo could feel the sparks of comfort and love zapping between the three of them. He was determined that the rest of Angelus' life was filled with that feeling.