Chapter 37

Johnathon Hartwell and Derrick O'Toma were on the exercise mat facing each other. Lucie Hartwell, Shelby, Mary 2, and 1 were all standing on the side. A worried look was on Lucie's face.

"Why can't you stop them? This is complete insanity! They could kill each other! Mary you have to prevent this!" Lucie was pleading with Mary.

"Under mandates, rules and orders that the emperor gave me I cannot interfere unless death becomes an issue. I am sorry Miss Lucie but there is nothing I can do." An upset but immobile Mary was saying.

"Well I can damn sure..." Lucie started. An arm restrained Lucie as she was starting to move forward. "What!? Let me go! I have to stop this insanity."

"No young one, this is something that none of us can stop. Neither would any of those here try. This has to happen or there may never be trust between them again." Dempsy advised Lucie.

"Why? This is stupid! Do you both hear me? Stupid I say! Fine! Beat the hell out of each other! I have far more important things to do!" With that Lucie Hartwell whirled and marched out of the room.

Hartwell and Derrick both looked at Dempsy, sighing he threw up his arms. "Babysitting! You bring me here then have me babysitting? If either of you weren't my friends I MIGHT be the one doing the beating!" Turning with a grunt of disgust Dempsy went after the young woman grumbling.

Both men nodded, smiling then turned back toward each other.

"I really hope you are ready to have your ass kicked! This was my mission to fail or succeed. It's about time you learned to keep your nose out of private business!" Hartwell growled at Derrick.

"Ha! I doubt highly that you can get a punch in! As soon as you learn that EVERYONE is my subject then perhaps your stubborn ass will start to listen!" Derrick snapped back at Johnathon.

For the first few minutes the men only threw jabs testing their reach and reactions of their opponent. A minute later Derrick scored a glancing blow off the side of Johnathon's face.

Shaking his head Johnathon stated, "Not bad but you're going to have to do a lot better than that!" Swinging a false round house, Johnathon caught Derrick with a surprise punch square in the stomach. Doubling over Derrick barely avoided an upper cut from Johnathon.

It was perhaps forty five minutes later that both men were about to drop. Both had bloody lips, Derrick had a black eye, Johnathon's nose was sitting at an odd angle. Still both men refused to yield to the other.

"Damn it," panted Johnathon, "I don't remember you being this tough!"

Derrick smiled then replied, "You've just gotten soft Johnathon!"

"You are so full of shit!" Johnathon spit as he rushed Derrick. Smiling Derrick caught the man with a jab then an uppercut that clipped Johnathon's jaw. "Ah shit!" Johnathon said as he stumbled then fell flat on his face!

"I told you! You've gotten soft!" Derrick almost shouted. "Carp," Derrick said to his self, "think I have too!" Derrick shook his head as his legs felt like rubber, and then he also went down face first on the mat!

Finally able to move forward Mary ordered, "Get both of them to the med bay! Really sire! We have a battle tomorrow and you have to do something like this!" Mary was shaking her head her hands on her hips. She thought that she had been right. This emperor was going to keep her on her toes; that was for sure!

Thomas was having a meeting with the other three Captains. "It appears that the emperor is going to be unable to be with us for a short time. It seems he and the Admiral had a fight."