Chapter 34

Derrick looked around the room at each and every hologram as each promised that Lucy would never be an outcast again. Each said that they were proud and would let her know just how proud. Derrick nodded at each of them as they made their pledge. Pride was starting to swell up in his chest, he had been so proud of Lucy, it had almost killed him when she didn't make it.

Derrick decided right there and then that he had to make sure that this didn't happen again. Already ideas were starting to push their way to the front of his thoughts. Bending over a computer note pad Derrick started to outline several ideas that were taking hold in his mind. Hmmm Derrick thought might be a good idea to give these to Kimison and Rayburn, as it appeared he was going to be busy for a while.

Derrick finally dismissed all of the ships watching as each of them left. All of them that is except for Tara. "Yes Tara was there something else?" Derrick asked.

"Yes Sire, I know that you are extremely busy. I have a favor to ask Sire." Tara asked hesitantly.

"I always have time for my EIG ships Tara." Derrick answered.

"It is just that, uh..." Tara started.

Shelby nudged her daughter and whispered, "Ask him he won't yell or bite!" Shelby said as she started to giggle then Tara did also.

Taking a deep breath Tara said, "Sire I feel so alone I would love to have a prime. That is if you have time Sire."

Derrick smiled, then thought a moment. Hmmm he had someone in mind if they took it. Yes! They should do very well indeed! "Of course Tara I have just the individual in mind though you will have to finish growing before I can have them brought here to you ok?"

Tara's face lit up and a huge smile spread across her face. "Yes Sire! Thank you so much sir! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

Derrick smiled widely also this was the type of praise he liked not the bowing and scraping others did!

_________________________________________

Three days later

1st specialist Ensign Callie was bored out of her mind. She didn't want anyone to take her wrong, she loved her work as a tech specialist. Since the incident with the other personality being placed in her, they had stuck her at central. Basically all she did now was process reports, she was a tech specialist for god's sake not a desk jockey! Even though she hadn't said anything she had felt that the emperor and Rear Admiral Hartwell had been happy with her brain results.

Sighing again or at least she thought she had, she looked around the corner. In another cubicle sat a young science officer with the markings of the Ranger ship Plymouth on his shirt. Then she thought she heard another sigh next to her on the other side. Looking over she saw an old friend of hers, the old science officer of the rear Admiral's old flag ship the Comrade.

"Mack?" Callie stated, "They stuck you here too? My god man, what did you do?"

Ensign Mack Brown was startled by the voice from the past, "Mara?" Mack asked looking around for the source of the voice. Shaking his head he went back to the scientific analysis of several anomalies. Sighing he thought yeah an exercise in boredom.

Suddenly there was a body standing next to him, a very hard but sweet smelling body. "Mack Brown you avoid me again like that and I'll knock your ass all over this center!"

Looking up Mack's eyes went wide, "Mara?" He asked. "MARA!" He shouted jumping up and picking her up twirling her around.

"Hey! Put me down! You want us both to be court-martialed?" Mara said a stern look on her face. "Again, what did you do to get stuck here?"