Chapter 36

Hartwell looked at the micro-generator reading, the shield was starting to tax the generator. Damn it! He couldn't kill these bastards fast enough! Where had this ass gotten this many men that were as loyal as they were? Touching the other thin badge like apparatus, Hartwell smiled when it hummed and he appeared a mile away! Good he thought, give the generator a little time to recharge the power cell.

Trianas Macley adjusted her settings as she quickly approached the Duke's planet. As much as she hated to help that bastard O'Toma, she was pretty miffed at the Duke for screwing up all her carefully laid plans. Suddenly her ears perked up at a transmission.

"You got a reading on him?" Came a male voice.

"Reading? The man has decimated well over half the elite guard and part of the soldiers the Duke sent. We are in serious need of reinforcements!" Came another almost desperate voice.

"You have to be kidding! The Duke's not going to let anyone leave here! Keep up the pressure! His equipment can't last forever!" Replied the first voice.

"Nothing we have used is working, we need heavier weapons!" Came the desperate man's voice.

"Buck up and get it done stop wasting my time coward!" The first voice said then clicked off.

Interesting Trianas thought someone is playing hell with the Duke's troops. Damn! That means there will be less for her to kill! Oh well, she could go after the other one. Thinking a moment she shook her head no, let that idiot Duke get his self out of it.

Trianas changed course as she veered away and reversed course back to Earl Tauntoff's planet. Guess I can amuse myself there for a day or two she thought.

_____________________________

Greeson lifted his self off the mat, looking around he was surprised when he didn't see the Lieutenant. Then his eyes met those of Mara Callie.

Rising she walked over to the man. "Sergeant I wanted to ask you, why aren't you an officer also? You are obviously as good as the Lieutenant."

Greeson blushed a moment then what she'd said sunk in. "No ma'am, I'm real good but I'm in no way as good as the Lieutenant! I hope to one day but now I am nowhere near the caliber that he is!"

"Really?" Mara said. "From everything that I saw you are just as good, not better but just as good. I haven't seen anyone go as long as you two did except for masters. By the way I think your teacher was on his way to see the emperor."

Greeson's eyes flew wide, was his teacher really trying to do what he thought he was? Mara and Greeson stood talking about home for a few minutes then started to move off. Dempsy was smiling wide when he saw the both of them talking as friendly as they were.

"Sergeant Greeson!" Dempsy shouted causing the man to stand at attention. "I was just informed by the Emperor that you have been promoted to Warrant officer!" Dempsy quickly sidled up to Greeson whispering, "You can thank me later, especially if I get busted back to enlisted after this!"

Greeson's eyes went wide then he nodded, he'd heard about the Lieutenant's aversion to being an officer. "Yes sir," Greeson said as Dempsy pinned the warrant officer insignia to his collar.

"Now then," Dempsy continued. "Take this woman to dinner! That IS an order!" Both Mara and Greeson snapped to attention with a yes sir! Then they both turned and marched off hand in hand.

'Bout damn time Dempsy thought as he watched them walk away. Sighing Dempsy thought he really ought to kick the commander's ass! First he was a second Lieutenant then that sneaky ass promotes him to Captain for the ground forces! Shaking his head he didn't know what he was going to do, he was the third grade of officer! This was insane! Driving his hand through a punching bag Dempsy ignored the several gasps that sounded behind him.