{22} Pieces

"Avenge me, Ben!" Carlos dramatically exclaimed from the worn down, green couch he laid on in the center of Benji's apartment.

His chest had been secured in bandages and his broken leg was elevated on the arm of the couch as he waved a fist in the air. Sabrina shook her head, chuckling as a delicious aroma wafted in from the kitchen while she cooked.

Benji dragged the faded blue mat out in front of Carlos and hitched an eyebrow.

"You've fought The Bruiser before," he started to which Carlos smacked his forehead, whining, "Come on, man. Don't remind me about the majorly uncool loss."

Benji rolled his eyes, failing to mask the smile tugging on his lips. "Well, since you've fought him, mind giving me some tips?"

"Tips?"

Benji nodded. "Like his weaknesses or something?"

Carlos thoughtfully tapped his chin, roaming his eyes around the ceiling as if the answer had been written on the cracked paint.

"What will you give me, huh?" He asked after much deliberation.

"What do you want?"

Carlos grinned slyly and winked. "If I tell you, then you have to beat him."

Without hesitation, Benji's features hardened and he nodded. "Deal," he agreed.

Carlos held up a finger as his smile widened. "And, you have to go with Drew to the Sadie Hawkins Dance."

My jaw practically unhinged as I gaped at Carlos, sputtering, "Wa-Wait, how do you know about the dance?"

Carlos pointed at his fiancée who waved sheepishly from the kitchen. "I may, or may not, have said something to him about taking you to buy a dress," Sabrina said.

It was Benji's turn to speak. Rather than addressing me, he focused on Carlos as he asked, "When is it?"

Carlos shrugged, gesturing to me. "Ask Drew," he said.

"It's okay," I said, "Benji needs to focus on the competition. It's more important."

"No," Benji refuted to my surprise. Turning his heated gaze to me, he said, "I'll go."

"Uh, it's a girls ask guys dance," I replied, saying, "I haven't even asked you, yet." I hadn't meant for the defensive tone my voice had taken on when I'd spoken.

Benji's eyebrows shot up as Carlos snorted and laughed, clutching his sides. "If my body wasn't broken, girl, I'd give you a hug right now," he said, continuing to chuckle.

"Whatever," Benji snapped, turning his back to me. "What else can you tell me about The Bruiser?"

"You mean on the off chance that you'll actually make it to the finals?" Carlos retorted jokingly.

Benji sent a glare his way in warning. Carlos shifted, momentarily darting his eyes to mine before he sighed and returned his attention to Benji. "He's ruthless," he said, "Just because the round is over, doesn't mean that The Bruiser's fight is."