What if...

Stevie tried to get more comfortable in her seat, laying her head on Paul's chest, her eyes closed. He smiled as she snuggled closer and pressed a kiss to her hair. She tilted her chin up, looking up at him sleepily. "I'm not the best company on a flight."

"It's okay. We'll land in the morning, so I'd rather have you well rested. I've got things planned." Paul winked, a smile forming on Stevie's lips.

"You're so good to me."

"Well, I've got to treat you right. I don't want you running off with some French boy toy."

Stevie started laughing, as she shook her head. "That would never happen. Besides, I don't want a boy, I love my man." She smirked, reaching up to kiss him.

"You have no idea how much I love the sound of that." Paul tucked a stray strand of hair out of her face. "I'm so lucky."

"I'm not complaining either." Stevie said, resting her head on Paul's shoulder now, as she soon drifted off again.

Hours later, Stevie felt faint kisses on her temple, as she stretched inhaling deeply, before opening her eyes. She had slept through most of the flight, while Paul stayed awake the majority of the time. 

"We've landed."

"Oh? I slept through it." Stevie covered her mouth as she yawned, then suddenly she looked embarrassed. "I hope I didn't snore?"

"No." Paul laughed, getting up from his seat. "Don't worry."

Soon enough, the two were in the taxi, with their luggage loaded in the trunk, on their way to the hotel, where Paul had a suite booked. Stevie was looking out the window, Paul watched her. His heartbeat sped up every time he thought of the small object he carried around at all times. It wasn't very wise, he could have easily lost it, but he didn't want Stevie to find it.

"I haven't been to Paris in a while." Stevie said, brushing her thumb over the back of Paul's hand. "I used to say that I'll move to Paris for some time, like half a year and fall in love, have a wonderful wild romance." 

"And did you?"

"Not yet." She joked and Paul gave her a pointed look. "I'm content for a while."

"Content!" Paul scoffed. "That's what a man wants to hear."

"It isn't?" Stevie asked playfully, raising an eyebrow at him. "Well then, what does my man want to hear."

"Hm... It's more of what your man wants to see and do." He winked, his palm stroking up and down her thigh.

"Naughty. Very naughty." Stevie smirked, as they then remained in comfortable silence for the rest of the drive.

Using the key card, Paul unlocked their room and let Stevie enter first as he followed behind her. Looking around, he thought to himself that it was most definitely worth the money. Also, the gasp coming from Stevie, once she saw the Eiffel Tower, having stepped out onto the terrace. 

"I'm sure you have seen it before." Paul said, approaching her from behind, his arms circling around her.

"Of course, but I haven't had this view from my hotel suite before. It's gorgeous." Looking over her shoulder. "It must have cost a fortune."

"That's not something you should be worrying about. This is my birthday gift to you. I want you to have the best time while we're here." 

"Something tells me I will." Stevie smiled lovingly as she turned in his arms, cradling his face in her hands as she kissed him. "I love you."

"I love you, too." Paul smiled back, pecking her on the lips once more.

After having brunch in their room, Stevie went to take a shower, surprised Paul didn't accept her invitation to join her. There won't be any showering, he said and he wasn't wrong. With a shrug of her shoulders and a, suit yourself, she left him alone. The truth was, Paul was nervous about the evening and he would have a hard time focusing. He had it planned, he wasn't worried about that. However, one question was constantly on his mind, what if she says, no?

"Wear something that I can take off easily, when we get back." Paul said, as Stevie was unpacking her suitcase, looking for an outfit. Paul had a table booked at one of her favorite restaurants' in the city a month and a half ago. 

"I'm sure that whatever I wear it won't be too much trouble for you to rip it off me."

"Excuse me, but I haven't ripped anything off you." Stevie stood up straight, hands on her hips, staring at him. "Okay, I might I owe you a blouse or two. Bras. Pa-"

"Okay!" Stevie chuckled, bending over to reach the dress, she had decided on.

Two hours, give or take, later, Stevie was ready to go. Paul had dressed up ages ago, compared to her. Paul couldn't take his eyes off Stevie, she had to be the most beautiful woman he had ever met and he never got tired of telling her that. 

Dinner wasn't the main event of the night. Having enjoyed a nice meal, they left the restaurant for a walk. Paul was almost afraid to suggest it, hoping she wouldn't be too tired. 

"If your feet start hurting tell me and I'll carry you." Paul tightened his arm around Stevie's waist as they strolled down the street. Stevie just laughed. "I'm serious."

"I bet you are." She chuckled again, giving him a kiss. "It would have been a lot smarter to wear flats though."

"I'm sorry, I didn't think. We can go back to the hotel if you like."

"No, I'm perfectly fine. Stop worrying, you've been fidgeting the whole evening. Are you okay?"

Facing her Paul nodded, hoping the smile on his face didn't look too forced. "I just don't want you to be in pain."

"I'm alright." Stevie assured him.

Before they knew it, they were approaching the Eiffel Tower. A little cliche? Yes, but Paul still thought it would be more romantic than say after they ate at the restaurant.

"I've been here so many times before, but I love this city." Stevie was the one doing most of the talking, while Paul just nodded his agreement or managed to get a word or two in, but he didn't mind. He loved how carried away she could get, he loved listening to her. "I'd love to live here. Or maybe somewhere in Italy would be nice. Although, I know I'm going to stay in the States anyway, but you know. One can dream." She rambled on and she didn't even realize the lack of Paul's presence next to her. Stevie stopped and turned around to find him a few steps back. Down on his knee. "Paul, honey? Wh- what are you doing?" She asked nervously, tucking a strand of hair that wasn't there.

"You've changed my life." Paul spoke up at last. "I had given up on finding love, but then I met you. I fell for you instantly, but I was too afraid to let you know, because I didn't want to scare you away. I mustered up the courage and said those words to you, you smiled, kissed me and said, you loved me too." Opening his palm, Paul then revealed the engagement ring he'd been hiding in it. "Yes, we've known each other for just a few months, but... I don't want to wait and I don't want to keep looking, because I've found it. I've found love, I've found you." He could see the unshed tears in her eyes, neither of them breaking the eye contact once. "Will you marry me, Stephanie?"

Without hesitation, Stevie nodded, closing the gap between them. "Yes! A million times yes, I'll marry you!" She didn't even let him put the ring on, kissing him passionately first of all. 

"I'm so relieved..." Paul admitted, nearly crushing her in a hug. "I was terrified of you saying no."

Pulling back, Stevie wiped away her tears. "Not a chance." She couldn't stop smiling. 

"Would you maybe like to wear the ring, too?" Paul joked, his voice still a bit shaky.

"Oh God, yes!" Stevie held out her hand and in just a second, she was officially an engaged woman. She could hardly believe it, staring at the ring for a long moment. Facing Paul again, she said. "I love you."

"And I love you so much more." He drew her in again, capturing her lips to the applause of the small crowd they had gathered that they weren't aware of.

THE END

~

And that's the end of it! I want to thank everyone, who read this story even if you had to suffer through Stevie being with someone else and not Lindsey, but I need a change every once in a while and I do believe she deserves all the happiness in the world. Even if it's just a made up story, I'm glad someone made her happy. Thanks!