{ 33 } Challenged Child-Killing Cockroach

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

" they had told her she forgave too easily, that it was a bad thing. Until they realized her forgiveness was the only reason she was still in their life—and suddenly it was a good thing "

I'm about to follow Clarke back into camp, but of course, Bellamy grabs ahold of my elbow, probably to reprimand me about making stupid and reckless decisions, when in fact they were to save our people

I cross my arms over my chest, looking up to meet his surprisingly non-authoritative gaze.

    "Why didn't you tell me about it?" Bellamy echoes Raven's words to Finn, his eyes dilating.

I click my tongue against the roof of my mouth, pushing my hair out of my face. "Because, you wouldn't have let it happen-" I begin, and his face suddenly sets, growing red.

    "Damn right I wouldn't have! They were going to kill you!" Bellamy fires back, stepping closer to me in the heat of the moment. My cheeks flush with heat, and I look up at him through my eyelashes, not letting him convince me I was wrong. Even if there was the slightest chance of peace, it was worth it. Near the walls, I see a few campers blink in confusion at Bellamy's raised voice, but once they see me, they turn away, the camp used to our arguing and screaming matches by now.

     "You weren't there, you didn't see her like I did," I hiss, sucking in a quick breath as I disregard his comment about endangering my life. "She didn't want more people to die, we almost had a shot at this!" I attempt to convince him, prove that they could be bargained with.

    "They shot an arrow that skimmed you. That alone shows we shouldn't trust them," Bellamy seems set on hating them, like there was no point in even trying to live together peacefully. My heart flutters for a moment, forcing myself to look past the fact that Bellamy was scared for me.

I glance down at my blood stained pants, at the shredded material that hid the deep scratch below it. I'm taken aback by the fact that he had seen that happen, yet pin it on the fact he had a scope.

    "Why didn't you stop Jasper? You had to know that things were going fine!" My voice rises at the beginning, and after realizing it, it lowers noticeably. My eyes search Bellamy's face for any signs of anger, but all I find is confusion.

His adam's apple bobs, and he takes another step closer to me so our chest's are almost touching. I grit my teeth, willing myself not to notice.  "They were in the trees, and he panicked," Bellamy explains, shoulders slumping tiredly as if he gave up on arguing. "By that time, they were shooting at you."