Do You Remember?

I watched as the tiny wonders devoured their breakfast and make small talk as the went. From what I could hear, it was mostly about tv shows and surprisingly school. I sat over by my mother who was enjoying her eggs and bacon.

"You have grown so much, your dad would have loved to see you now, don't you think?" she said with a smile.

I put on a smile to hide the tears that would have usually flooded my face.
My dad was....a very distant person. You wouldn't see him at any school event, he never went to any type of function, celebration or celebrated any special events. He was always working.
From early in the morning to sometimes after midnight, it was almot as if he had no mind of his own, all he ever did was work, never took days off, wouldn't eat if you don't make him.

So while other kids were outside playing catch or something with their dads, I was inside reading cookbooks and making three meals a day for an extended household.

I won't lie, even though he was almost never there, when he was it would bring so much happiness that you couldn't help but cry a little. Tears of joy would build up from just seeing him in the large crowd of people. Hearing him shout over all the applause,"That's my son!" made me feel like crying even more. But, ofcourse, just when things started to get better, just when we were finally getting closer as a family, God decided he would take my dad away. We, well I was never the same after that day.

"Yeah, he would be, atleast I hope he is." I got up and headed to my room and get ready for work. It was summer and I was looking to earn a little bit of money for something. When I got to my room, and was sure nobody was around, I broke down in tears from thinking about him.
"It's not fair." I muttered to myself "It's not fair! Why did it have to happen to me!" I sat their for a few minutes, but that was interrupted by a soft knock on my door and a pair of sparkling, baby blue eyes. I guess I still had tears in the corner of my eye because she ran up and hugged me tightly. Her being as small as she was, she could only reach up to my knees, but that was good enough for me. After she let go she gave me her biggest smile which would reveal her one tooth that refused to grow back. And just as soon as she came she was gone and one thing flashed across my mind.
"How proud would dad be of me?"
But something else came up that broke my train of thought.
"OMFG I'M GONNA BE LATE!" and with that I grabbed my stuff, shoved it in my bag, got in my car and headed off to work. But I needed to make one call first. While on a stop light I dialled the number and let it ring for a bit, then a voice came from the other end.
"Morning babe, did you remember?"