"Thanks for the help," she muttered, heading through the doors. It seemed she would have to navigate her way around all on her. Annabeth found herself in front of a reception desk, behind which sat who she assumed to be the secretary. She was an older woman, with red hair and a yellow and pink blouse that clashed rather horribly with her hair.

     The secretary smiled at Annabeth. "Can I help you?"

     "I'm Annabeth Chase, and I've come to collect my schedule."

     "Oh, yes, I should've known that. It's not every day we get a new student. The last one we got was last year, Isabella Swan. Sweet girl, she is, Police Chief Swan's daughter, you know." Annabeth fought the urge to roll at her eyes at the unnecessary chatter.

     "I do know, I'm her step cousin, and I'm staying with them."

     "Oh! Well, I'm sure you'll all get along just fine. She reached over to the printer and grabbed couple of papers that had just come out. "Now, here's your schedule, and here's a map of the school, and this right here is a signature form. All you've got to do is get each of your teachers to sign it in the next space, and then turn it into me at the end of the day. Got it." What, do they think that Annabeth was going to ditch class on the first day of school? This whole form-signing process seemed a bit extra.

     "Got it. Thanks," she said turning away to walk out the doors to her first class.

     "Have a nice day," said the secretary.

     Annabeth nodded, giving a quiet, "You, too." Looking at her schedule, she saw that she had English first. Great. Now she could show off her Dyslexia first thing. Sighing, Annabeth opened up the map of the school and began searching for room 309, trying to ignore the stares of her fellow students.

     "Do you need any help?" Annabeth turned, and saw a smiling kid with glasses and black hair.

     "Oh, um..."

     "I'm Eric," said the boy.

     "Annabeth."

     "That's pretty," Eric said, looking over Annabeth thoughtfully. "Well, welcome to Forks High. I can help you find your class, if you want."

     "That'd be great. I'd rather not spend my first day stumbling around with my head in a map." Eric laughed.

     "You're funny," he decided. Annabeth was naturally suspicious of people in general, but Eric seemed okay—a bit overbearing and nerdy, but okay.

     In English, Annabeth handed her slip to the teacher, Mr. Mason, whom Eric had mentioned had moved up a grade, which was good, because he was pretty nice. Mr. Mason didn't make Annabeth introduce herself to the class, which she was grateful for, and just signed her form first thing. Before directing her to a seat, he pulled Annabeth aside and whispered, "Just to let you know, I am aware of your Dyslexia. So don't worry about anything." Annabeth smiled at him gratefully, and then went to sit beside a girl with brown hair and an over-confident smile that didn't match the normal back-to-school-blues.

     Mr. Mason passed out the reading list for the year, and Annabeth was glad to see that she had already read a couple of the books. As the teacher was discussing something with one of his students, the girl next to Annabeth leaned over.