Chapter 14

Part 2 death's on all sides

Flora’s death obviously devastated Rani. She sat on a branch silently just staring ahead into space. Every now and then she would sing, scream, or mumble something. I felt bad for her. I could never imagine losing Ivey. We’ve been together for, literally, our whole lives. It would literally be hell. We depend on each other.

                After about an hour of sitting on branches and nibbling on rabbit meat, we packed up. I hoped from one branch to another almost falling getting over to Rani.

                I sat down next to her. “Rani, it’s time to go.” I looked at her face. It was emotionless now.

                She stared ahead. “Flora’s dead. Killed by one of our own.” She faced me with the same emotionless mask on. “One of our own! He’s dead but Lyle’s still out there, running around looking for some innocent kid to kill.” She sighed and looked out over the swamp again. She gave a humorless chuckle. “at least I didn’t have to kill her.”

                I understood. I don’t want to kill Ivey. When the capitol came out with the new rule, everyone couldn’t believe it. They were tearing families apart. Siblings killing siblings. It was just another form of cruel entertainment to them.

                I stood up, wobbly like. “It’s time to go.”

                Rani stood up and sighed. “Good-bye Flora.” Then we joined the others in a much taller tree.

                Ivey nodded a greeting to us. “Let’s go.”

                The five of us climbed down the trunk of the tree onto the mushy brown ground. With slightly wet feet, we walked away from where we landed. It was pretty much the same place where we climbed away from the careers so they might come back to see if we were still there.

                We walked quickly and silently, as to not draw attention to ourselves. We walked deeper into the swamp, keeping track of what direction the cornucopia would be of course. We walked for the whole day until it was time to rest.

                Rani volunteered to stay on watch all night. I tried to offer to stay up with her but she wouldn’t let me.

                Ivey looked at me with deep concern in her eyes.

                I bit my lip and nodded. She needed the time to think.

                Carlisle and Logan fell asleep quickly. It had been a long day. Ivey ran out to check some of the snares we had set up earlier on our walk here. When she came back, she had four squirrels and two rabbits. She quickly cleaned them and set them out to dry out overnight. Finally, Ivey slid into our sleeping bag next to me.

                She looked at Rani who was sitting at the opening of the tunnel we were using as camp for the time being. Rani was sitting, leaning against the wall of the cave, looking outside while fashioning a new spear. She had found a long stick so she’s been trying to form it into a makeshift spear. She was actually doing a pretty good job. Ivey looked at me. “Keep an eye on her.” She whispered and turned over to sleep.

                I looked at Rani. I had to applaud her. In my mind of course. I wouldn’t be able to live a normal life without Ivey. Neither would mom or dad. Rani’s silent vigil was telling me how much she cared for her family.

                I finally slipped into sleep and I was ever so grateful I did. It had been a long day.