Chapter 9

Clark kept sending me worried looks throughout the day as if this .. bad guy would pop up at any second. He told me that Mxyzptlk looked like a short man with a top hat.

"In his world-"

"Wait, wait!" I stopped him, "What do you mean in his world?"

"Well. . ." Clark said as i bit into my salad. "He is from another dimension."

He let that sink in while i chewed and swallowed my food. I nodded for him to continue and he did. "He is from a 5th dimension. His world is backwards in everything. I visited once, by accident, because he pulled me through a portal. And in that world, I was a bad guy. Using my powers for evil and unable to resist ... well, let's just say it wasn't easy finding a way out."

Throughout the day, the only thing on my mind was why me?

What about me did this guy think was worth . . . tormenting? Is getting flowers really a bother though? They are beautiful. As i was packing my things at the end of the day Lois came up to me. "Those are beautiful flowers. Who are they from?"

"An old friend." When it was apparent to Lois I wasn't going to say anything else she spoke again. "So, did Clark ever make the date up to you?" I heard a sneer in her voice like she still couldn't believe it. I looked down at myself. I am beautiful. My black hair curls at the ends and doesn't cover my face. My eyes are bright and my skin is pretty. I don't wear as much make-up as Lois does but i don't think i need it. My body is curvy but not outrageous. I'm short but not extremely. I looked back at Lois and shook my head. She doesn't even deserve an answer. I turned to gather my flowers and my bag and Lois touched my elbow. "He has secrets, you know. He won't let anyone in and no one is ever invited to his house or anything. I just . . ." she removed her hand and stood up straighter; defiantly. "Don;t get your hopes up and think things will last, is all I’m saying." She abruptly turned and stalked off.

Lucky for me, I don't care what she says. I'm willing to give Clark a chance. But can my heart take it? Should I listen to Lois? I gathered my things and went to hail a cab.

At home the doorman smiled at me and held open the door. “Lovely flowers you've got there, Ma'am.” I smiled and made my way up to my apartment. I unlocked my door and turned on the lights. Immediately something felt off and I felt like I walked into my apartment in a parallel universe. You know that feeling when it feels like you've walked through a vortex and everything tilts for a minute? Yea, that feeling. I placed the flowers on my kitchen counter and my bag and things next it. I kicked off my heels and took a deep, relaxing breath as I looked around. There was something out of place. What, exactly, I couldn't put my finger on but there was something. Like that feeling of something being moved but you can't remember what it was or where it was placed.

"What a lovely place you've got here." said a short man just relaxing on my recliner. I started and my eyes opened in shock. I was reaching for my set of kitchen knives when he held open his hands and spoke, "Now, now, deary, I'm not here to hurt you. No need to for violence. You may call me Mxyzptlk, or Mr. M. " This man smiled a big toothy grin. “I'm very interested in you. How did you like the flowers?" The way his eyes followed me as I walked around the counter to sit near him, long knife in my hand, put me on edge. This little man was the man who had the power to alter dimensions?

“The flowers are lovely, thank you. But why are you interested in me?”

Mr. M cocked his head to the side, “Because you have a power, my dear, a hold over Superman. Anyone who has that kind of power is someone I need to befriend. I have no qualms with the man myself, but we're not friends.” He smiled.

I nodded, “I have no power over Superman. I've met him twice. Both time he saved me and left. As I know, Lois Lane has a thing for him, and he for her. So why me?” I sat back on my couch and crossed my arms.

Mxyzptlk leaned towards me and said “Because you know a secret that Ms. Lane does not, or so I'm told.” Abruptly I stood and walked to my door. Opening it I turned to him, “I don't know who lied to you, Mr M, but you need to leave. Now.”

He just smiled and snapped his fingers. BAM! He was gone.