Chapter 8 !!!

“God, don't give me that look.” I shook my head but held tightly to the pole. Up this high the wind whipped at me and I was terrified to look anywhere but at Superman. He just looked at me. Watching me and then finally he moved closer. In one swift movement we were up in the air again. I screamed and held on tightly, clamping my hands firmly around his neck. Flying was a sensation all on it's own. I've never felt more afraid and more aware in my entire life. Every crevice of my body seemed to fit perfectly to Clark's – Superman's- and my breathing started getting shallow just thinking about it. He must have felt my breathes coming quicker because his right arm tightened around mt waist just a little. “Keep calm, Kate, you'll be okay. I promise I won't let anything happen to you.” He whispered in my ear.

“I cant-cant keep calm! I don't like heights, Clark. Get me down!” I screamed, close to tears. Quicker than I thought possible I was on the roof of my building. I forced my legs to stop wobbling and stared this man in his face. “I-”

“Before you lay into me, please, let me explain some things.” I nodded. “Thank you. You know the reason why I couldn't tell anyone who I really am. It is a secret that needs to be kept a secret, understand?”

“Of course.” I said, appalled he'd think I would tell the world. “I wouldn't tell anyone.”

 “I really like you, Kate. A lot. And I would love it if, honestly, we could have a second go at that date.”

 “Pft. Are you asking as Superman, or Clark Kent?” I crossed my arms. I was flattered, really, but supremely annoyed. He stepped closer to me and smile that dimpled smiled and my legs started to wobble again- for something completely different then height. “I am asking as a man who likes a woman and wants to make up for a horrible first date. I can ask you tomorrow at work, if you wish.”

 I couldn't hold back the smile that started to spread like wildfire on my face. “You can ask, I might and I might not answer.” .... Clark, Superman, stepped away from me and towards the ledge of my building. “I'll see you at work, Kate Star.” Up, up, and up he flew. ..... “Tomorrow, Clark Kent.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

”Lilies, huh?” Richard asked as soon as I walked into work the next morning. “They're so pretty.” I smiled as I ran my fingers along the petals. “Someone have a secret admirer?” Lois laughed as she sauntered past. “Or did you loose a family member?”

“I'll have you know that Lilies also represent a new beginning, hope, not just death. Though i'll make sure to let you have them when they're dead. I know you like to destroy things.” I pursed my lips as Lois faltered when she walked then continued on.

“Lovely flowers, Kate.” Clark said from behind me. I smiled up at him. “Yes, they are.” A look crossed his face before he smiled back at me. As everyone started work for the day I looked at the flowers again and found a note stuck under the vase.

WhAt Is Up Is DoWn, WhAt iS dOwN iS uP. InSiDe OuT, RiGhTsIdE iN. ThInK cArEfUlLy DeAr, wHiCh LaNe YoUr LiFe BeGinS.” - Mr. MxyzptLk

I looked up at Clark and he was looking at me. A small smile beginning on his face until he saw something in my face. His eyebrows drew together and he started walking towards me. I saw out of my peripheral vision Lois look up and quickly look away. “Kate, have lunch with me?”I nodded and placed the card on my desk next to the flowers. “I will, where do you want to go eat?”

“Kate, I dont mean... who sent you the flowers?”

I looked up more confused then ever at him at the bad feeling that settled in my stomach. “A man named Mr. Mixepitlyx?” I shook my head. “I completely botched his name. “Have you ever met him before, Kate?” I shook my head. “He's probably just another one of-"

Clark leaned in real close to my ear. “Superman's enemies.” He pulled back a little and then whispered, “He's not been around in a long time, but Kate, he is one of the most dangerous.”

I felt my face turn green. “Maybe . . . maybe these aren't for me. Maybe they're for someone else. You, perhaps, or Lois.”

Clark gave me a pained look. “I'm afraid not, Kate. I'm certain they were placed on your desk for a reason.” I nodded, bile rising in my throat. Before I knew it the world had gone black