Chapter 40

Jeana's POV

...

please take your time. the chapter isn't very long. see you in the authors note:))

...

I sit in my new room in my... biological mother's house. What am I even supposed to call her? What name do I use when I need to address her for something? Maybe Mum... or Biological Mother. No, that's too weird.

Speak of the Devil, she knocks on my door.

"Come in." I call.

She walks in holding a plate of muffins. Blueberry muffins to be exact.

"I just thought you needed an after school snack." Biological Mother explains with a small smile.

I chuckle quietly. "My favorite kind too. You remembered. Blueberry."

She hands one to me and takes one for herself, unwrapping the paper off the still warm and fresh snack. "Of course I remembered, how could I forget? You're my little girl."

I frown. Are or were? I don't reply to the statement, leaving a awkward silence and taking a bite. She mocks my action and chews slowly. The sweet blueberries taste like a memory, like the good old days of coming home to freshly baked treats everyday after school. You know, the memories before the coming home to an abusive father.

"So, I wanted to talk to you." She breaks the silence.

"About?" I ask, still focused on the muffin.

She swallows and peels the rest of the paper off. "Well, I visited someone the other day."

"Who?"

I could feel the tension start to build. Why would she be nervous about telling me this?

"Y-your father."

I immediately begin coughing and choking on the remaining muffin in my throat. She looks down and clears her throat.

"Why!?"

"I just thought it was a good time to do it. He really does feel bad about what happened." She explains.

"Well he should! And so should you! That bastard beat me every chance he got and you cheated on him." I scowl.

She looks hurt from my response and chooses to ignore it. "I-I... He would like to see you."

I put the muffin back onto the plate, already at a loss of my appetite. "Absolutely not! Did you not hear me? He beat me over and over again, and you just want me to forgive him?"

She still looks down. "You've forgiven me."

I shake my head. "You never hit me. Please leave."

She puts the plate on my bed and gets up quickly.

"Oh and-" I stop her. "I haven't forgiven you either."

She still doesn't look at me, but continues to leave the room. I sigh and fall back down onto my pillows, my phone beeping quietly.

Tan: please come home.

I stare at the text, furrowing my eyebrows. I would feel much safer and happy at home, but not with that crazy girl there. So in the meantime, I'll just stay here.

I open the text and begin to type.

cant do that. If you just

I stop myself and delete the words after giving it some thought, deciding to leave her on 'read' for now.