XV. the devil's child

Chapter Status: Edited

They follow closely behind Marco the horse for the 5 or so minutes it takes to reach their village. Izzy was right when she said she could practically hear the town, it had been so close that they were surprised they had not all heard it. The town is rather large, at least for one in the Enchanted Forest, with a large church tower and hall beside each other in its centre. People hurriedly leave shops, the streets filling with women holding onto their groceries and children tightly, shop signs beginning to turn to closed.

They had never seen such a sight, such fear on people's faces as they watch the new arrivals wearily. Children hold onto their mothers tightly, wide, curious eyes watching them, as though they can sense their power.

"Why does everyone seem so terrified?" Anna asks softly.

"The devil's child grows stronger! We must protect ourselves, our children, before she sucks away our power!" an older man shouts, shoving his face close to hers.

A taller, stronger man places his hand softly on the man's shoulder, whispering something to him about going home, although it is hard to hear over the panicked crowd.

"The devil's child?" Regina questions Annabeth

A serious look covers her face, "my father will explain."

"Madam Mason, we have rallied the troops, we protect at command," another man says to her.

"Begin then, the sun will be gone within the hour," Annabeth replies seriously.

"If you are so frightened of this devil's child, why did you go out into the woods alone?" Emma questions.

"I am not afraid of her, however, father sensed light magic, lots of it, he knew we had to protect you before she- or others- found you."

A group of men and women gather around the town's borders, a ripple of energy surrounding them like a dome. Izzy and Peter exchange a strange look.

"I can't sense the magic, not even within the town, how did you do it?"

"Lots of practice, determination, too many people have been taken. Our land is for those who possess good magic, and those who possess good hearts. Powerful or not, rich or poor, we protect our people from those who wish to steal our power and soul for their own gain."

"You're well-spoken for 14," Henry says.

She smirks slightly, "my father raised me to be the best, just as his father raised him."

They then stop at a small cottage, looking at it with some surprise. Mayors often live in the largest houses, or perhaps the top floor of the town hall. However, the mayor and his daughter's cottage is just as small as the other houses, one story, with six or so rooms, the only difference is they have a large stable and two smaller houses behind.

"You look surprised," Annabeth states, hopping off of her horse.

"I just imagined it'd be larger," Ryder speaks first.

"We like to be seen as equals here, all houses are the same size, but depending on wealth, we have other things, like servants and stables. But anyway, the door is open, my father is expecting you."

"Do you sense any dark magic?" Peter questions.

Izzy thinks for a moment, "I sense no magic, they are good at protecting themselves. They seem good, but we cannot trust anyone in these lands."

"I agree," Regina nods.

"I'll go in first then," Henry steps forward, knocking on the door softly before pushing it open.