Peridot stepped out of the bathroom door, a confident smirk on her face.

"Ay, Peri!"

Peridot came to a violent stop as she met with the face of a familiar Gem. Amethyst leaned against the door frame, a wide grin on her face. Behind her was Cinnabar who was looking around the room absentmindedly.

"Hey, have you seen Steven?" She asked. "Pearl's got another mission for today."

"Uh, he's out." Peridot slipped past Amethyst and tried making her way to the front door. Amethyst raised an eyebrow as she began to follow the green Gem.

"Doing what?" Amethyst asked.

"N-nothing." Before Peridot could reach the front door, Amethyst slipped in front of her, blocking her escape.

"Girl, where you going?" She asked, crossing her arms. Peridot broke out in a sweat as she threw an answer together.

"Uh, nowhere?" She exclaimed. Amethyst rested her arms on her hips.

"Steven's off doing no thing, and you're going no where? Well, I'm no t buying it." She leaned forward. Peridot had to bend back to avoid hitting Amethyst.

"Y-you're not?" Peridot stuttered. Amethyst grinned. She began speaking in a hushed whisper.

"You two are going out aren't you?"

"What, nooo." Peridot tried passing off. Her lips pursed as her cheeks erupted with a lime blush.

"I knew it!" Amethyst put her hands on Peridot's shoulders as she kicked the door behind her open.

"Wait, what?" Peridot said as she was shoved out the door.

"Listen, I'll cover for Steven today, you go and have a good time, alright?" Amethyst explained, looking over her shoulder at Cinnabar.

"What're you—"

"And girl, you better be ready to tell me the details later," Amethyst said with a smug grin. "Go get 'em, tiger."

Peridot raised her finger up in protest. But before she could put in a word of objection, Amethyst slammed the door on her and ran inside. Peridot sighed in defeat. She better get going.

Steven stood in front of a dirty restroom mirror with an intense stare. His left hand gripped the edge of a sink whilst his right hand held an old hairbrush. With a look of determination, he ran the brush through his curly hair until it became smooth and flat. Steven smiled at his success.

Poof!

Steven sighed as his attempt at combed hair was thwarted once again. Every time he tried to control the curls of his dark hair, it just reverted to its original state. He could've sworn this used to be easier.

"Trouble taming the do?" A familiar voice called from behind. Steven turned and smiled. His father, Greg, was standing at the door. The two were currently in the restroom of the It's a Wash Car Wash.

"Yeah, kinda," Steven laughed, holding the brush out. Greg stepped forward and took it from his hands.

"Us Universe men have always struggled with controlling our voluminous hair." Greg ran his fingers over the bald part of his head before quickly moving to the hair on the back. "Let me help."

Greg got to work on Steven's hair, running the brush through the thick curls.

"Man, I can't believe my boy is already going on his first date. Feels like just yesterday we were celebrating your eighth birthday." Greg pulled back on Steven's hair.