The Date: Part 3

"So you're going off on a mission with Steven of Quartz, by yourselves?"

"Yes?" Peridot looked over her shoulder. "That is what I just said."

Peridot turned away from Cinnabar to the bathroom sink. A few months ago, she would've been ecstatic for the chance to meet a Gem like Commander Cinnabar. However, as it turned out, Cinnabar was far more like one of the Crystal Gems than most high ranking Homeworld Gems. So Peridot's interest in her had waned. She was far more concerned about the events of today.

Sitting on the edge of the porcelain sink was one of the books Peridot had 'procured' from Amethyst and Steven. It detailed many things, mostly methods by which human women applied makeup. To Peridot, it was mostly gibberish. The only information that was any use to her was how to fix one's hair.

"So where is Steven of Quartz at the moment?" Cinnabar asked, crossing her arms and looking out of the bathroom door. Peridot paused as she ran a brush through her hair.

"He's off with the human Greg, getting ready for the mission," she lied, fixing the splits in her triangular hair. Cinnabar raised a brow.

"Greg... yes, he was here the other day. Steven seems to have a connection with him."

Peridot paused again. She placed the comb on the counter before closing the book.

"Uh, Steven... connects with everyone," she passed on. "Makes him very useful for uh, diplomatic missions."

"Hm..." Cinnabar stood in thought. "Well, that's a bit disappointing. I was hoping to be able to do another lesson with him today."

"I'm sure you can occupy yourself for one day," Peridot assured. She looked over at a familiar object that sat at the corner of the sink: her scanner device. She picked it up and quickly absorbed what it told her. The update had finished and the results were ready. Peridot decided to wait till later to read them; until she was with Steven. She shoved the device into her hair, for safe keeping.

"You know, I've been so absorbed the past few days, I've completely forgotten. Weren't you supposed to get me a line of communication to Pink Diamond?" Cinnabar brought up, taking a step forward. Peridot's lips pursed.

"Uh, well, what do you think today's mission is for?" Peridot desperately tried to recollect how communications worked before the rebellion. "We're, uh, going to work on one of the local routers."

Cinnabar looked on at Peridot as a silence filled the bathroom.

"Well, good luck on your mission then," Cinnabar said, stepping away. Peridot mumbled out a thanks, turning back to the book. She began skimming through the pages one last time as her mind wandered.

She was going on a... date. Of course, Peridot knew what a date was. The demarcation of when something is. Like in her logs. But the word was different in this context. It was strange. She had spent the night before just trying to learn what it meant from the restricted material she had to work with.

Peridot flipped past a chapter detailing appropriate wardrobe. Useless to her as her clothing was a part of her projection. She fell back into thought.

Apparently, it was an event where two individuals interacted socially... and romantically. A warm shiver ran up her back. Peridot still wasn't used to saying or even thinking it. She, Peridot, a loyal and skilled technician for the Yellow Diamond administration was romantically engaged with a rebel from Earth.

Peridot heard the sound of the temple doors opening. She paid it no mind as she shut the book for the last time. Taking a moment to look at herself in the mirror, Peridot steeled herself. Who cares if she's violating the will of the Diamonds? Who cares that a few months ago she would've killed Steven given the chance? She's Peridot, damn it. She'll make her own decisions.