The Prologue

The cool salty winds blew across the rugged cliff face. The smell of the season's fish rolled in, covering the New England city in its scent. The sun began to creep over the horizon, bathing the buildings and cliff in its glow. A boy sat on the top of the cliff, looking out onto the calm water. He breathed in the crisp fresh air and smiled. He jumped to his feet and stretched, a series of cracks rolling down his back. The boy laughed.

He looked down the incline that led down to the city. The hill was a huge expanse of grass as big as the city itself. He crouched down and felt a crackling warmth in his gut. He took off.

He ran down the hillside, the skip to his step growing faster and faster. He was gliding down the hill. His heart raced quicker and quicker. The crackling fire in his gut burned as he ran, the cool air peeling off the sweat on his face. The sun rose behind him, casting his shadow farther than he could ever run.

As he approached the town, he began to hum a familiar nostalgic tune.

"If you're evil and you're on the rise,

you can count on the four of us taking you down."

"Because we're good and evil never beats us,

we'll win the fight and go out for pizza!"

He crossed into the town border, turned, and began running down the sidewalk.

"We- are the Crystal Gems,

we'll always save the day."

"And if you think we can't,

We'll always find a way."

The boy sang louder as he approached the shop.

"That's whhhy the people of- this- world-

Believe in-

He slowed down.

"Gar-net, Amethyst, annnnnd Pearl-"

He tore open the front door and leaped in, arms raised.

"AND STEVEN!"

The Big Donut stood silent, the young boy Steven standing un-fidgeting in the center. The awkward lack of sound broke.

"Uh... hey Steven?"

Steven unclenched his eyes and smiled. He walked towards the counter. "Sadie m'lady," he panted, "How are you this fine morning."

Sadie, who had been standing behind the counter, chuckled. "I'm fine, Steven. Just a bit of a weird morning. What's up with you; you're up pretty early.

"Oh yeah, just having an early morning run; Pearl says I need a work on my endurance."

"That sounds pretty cool," -She reached for a donut tong- "So, the usual? Or something special?"

Steven leaned against the counter and whispered, "Surprise me." His arm slipped from the counter and Steven fell with a thud.

"Steven!"

Spars and whirs filled the beach. A large metal hull laid on the sand, with two people working on it. The shorter green one wore a welding mask and was sealing part of the hull closed. On the other side was a taller white one who was carefully soldering a microchip.

The green one stopped the welding torch and paused. She lifted her mask and barked, "Pearl."

Pearl sighed at what felt like a derogatory remark, "Yes Peridot?"