Epilogue: An Earthly Angel

Chapter 10: An earthly Angel - An epilogue

"That's it for today. Thank you everyone." Himig Buencamino concluded the class with a flourish. His students gave an audible sigh and immediately rushed to pack their stuff and head out of the nearest exit from the auditorium. He snapped the locks in place of the leather flute case before coming down the raised platform area.

"Bye, Mr. Buencamino. See you tomorrow." His remaining students waved at him as he went out of the double doors. He gave them a small wave before he went out of the building. He walked down the pathway leading to the stone benches located at the foot of the bell tower where a decade ago, he crossed swords with one of his fellow angels.

He approached the age-old structure with a kind of nostalgia. The ancient stone had been weathered by the changing of the seasons and moss and lichen have grown on its base. The bells still played Christmas music during December and it made him smile just thinking about it. This place held so many memories for him that no matter how the seasons changed, it reminded him of his duties to Heaven. He sat down cross-legged on the stone table, placing his bag and flute case on the side. He breathed in the clean damp air around. Soon, summer will pass and the rainy season will usher in the start of regular classes. The towering Fire Trees are heavy with their red-gold blooms, their delicate petals floating down the roadsides to create a flaming carpet.

The afternoon was cool, the stone made colder by the rapid drop in temperature as the sun neared to set in the horizon. He watched the people passing by, his favorite past time nowadays. There was a time when all he did was watch. Centuries spent watching yet not being able to know the reality of life.

Ah, it is good to live.

Amidst the rising change around, there is still beauty in the world and Himig was eternally grateful for being given the chance to be in it. He fumbled for his flute case, pulling at the lock and withdrawing the slender white instrument. He brought it to his lips, closing his eyes to begin losing himself to the lull of creating beauty. He wove himself to the melodies remembered from a lifetime of living and breathing them in. The music was alive in him and something that he never lost ever during the time that he forgot his own identity.

"Himig" the soft voice beside him took him out of his trance. He smiled at his wife Mayumi who took the seat at his side.

"How long have you been there?" he asked softly.

"A few minutes. I didn't want to disturb you." She smiled back at him, pulling her knees to prop her hands on them. "What are you playing?"

"Symphony of summer" he answered in his angel-voice. "Sorry. I just couldn't help it, this time of the year my fellow angels sing it over there."

"It's beautiful. Ethereal." She said with a kind of breathless wonder.

"Did Alab and Amihan choose a date yet?" He asked, changing the subject.

"They were bickering so much that I just had to leave or risk bleeding ears" she snorted indelicately. She stuck a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Well, haven't you figured out that maybe they were just driving you nuts on purpose?" he chuckled softly at the flustered look on her face. "They just want to be left alone."

"They could just have said something. I swear those two are driving me crazy. If they weren't my friends I would really ask for a big fee as their wedding coordinator."

"But you wouldn't do that, love" Himig took her hand and held it to his cheek "Like it or not, you love those two."

"Feh. Your sister could very well choose her colors without my help." She frowned, looking still much like the little girl that he guarded so very long ago.