2.4 - His Blue Eyes

Start from the beginning

"Go to your room and get showered. I'll have the dinner ready" I said and watched as Ryker ran towards his room.

"What he did was correct, you know" Caleb's sudden voice made me jump. I held my chest to calm my furiously beating heart. "I thought you were gone" I said once my heart was beating normally.

"Couldn't" Caleb shrugged and pushed himself away from the doorframe and entered the house.

"If he was correct, then why were you mad at him?" Walking into the kitchen I asked over my shoulder.

"I was not angry at him for that. I was angry at him because that kid got away with a busted lip. That's all" Caleb threw his hand in the air and said it like his favourite basketball team just made 2 baskets.

"Seriously Caleb? Thank God I didn't made you talk to him or next time I would've been called in a hospital to see the damage my son did" I scolded him to which he grinned.

"Can't blame us. What's ours remain ours" he said with such intensity that it made my heart rate pick pace.

"I'll make dinner. Go get fresh" I replied and turned around. I heard him chuckle and then walk away.

~~~~~~

"Caleb, bring the kids" I called out as I placed the bowl of hot lasagna on the table. Few moments passed and still Caleb didn't reply. So I walked towards their room and found Caleb in a light yellow tank shirt and grey sweatpants. He looked hot. I shook my head and walked towards his leaning figure. He might have heard me or something but as soon as I reached near him he placed a finger over his lips in a motion of 'keep quite' I looked at him in confusion and found him looking at something. I followed his line of vision and saw Ryker petting Raine's hair while she lay asleep on her bed. "I'm sorry Raine but I can't let anyone hurt you. I'm the man of the house. It's my reslity to do it" Ryker stumbled on his last words. Caleb chuckled beside me as Ryker said 'reslity' for 'responsibility'. It's a big word for him but the thing that caught my attention was him thinking that he is the man of the house. He is just six year old. He shouldn't be thinking that.

I turned around and walked in the dining room and Caleb followed behind me. Before he could ask me what was wrong I called Ryker for dinner. He loved lasagna so there was no need to feed him because he ate it all on his own.

Caleb went home that night. He said he wanted to prepare for his big meeting on Friday. I tucked Ryker in bed and made Raine drink a glass of water before letting her go back to sleep. That night I slept in my kids room. Just thinking of one thing. Do my children need a dad?

~~~~~~

Saturday rolled in quickly. I decided to take the kids to the park since they've been a bit distant towards each other. Well, Raine started avoiding Ryker. I need to talk to her.

"Kids, let's go to the park today?" I asked them as I took a bit of my cereal. "Where's uncle Caleb?" They both asked in unison. Sometimes their twin bond scare me.

"Uncle Caleb is not answering my phone. So we'll be spending the day without him" I said and the kids pouted but were later excited as the taxi stopped in front of the park where children were laughing and playing in the swings and slides.

It was one of those days where there was no bright sun shining over our heads but it wasn't dark too. Cool winds rustled passed me as I stepped on the pavement.

"Mom I'm going to the slide" Ryker said and ran towards the slide. Raine was still beside me, holding my hand and clutching her teddybear closer to her.

"Wanna sit there with mommy?" I asked and pointed towards an empty bench. Raine looked at it and nodded her head. "Let's go"

I picked her up and placed her on the bench and sat beside her. She shifted closer to me and held my arm. I smiled at her and stroked her little hand over my arm.

"Do you want to tell mommy why you are ignoring your brother?" I asked and looked at her. "Ig - Igno - Igno - ring. Ignoring?" She asked and looked at me with curious eyes.

"Ignore. Ignore means when you don't talk to someone" I explained the meaning I can to a six year old. She looked down and avoided my eyes. I picked her up and made her sit on my lap.

"You can tell mommy anything" I said with a warm smile.

"He don't allow me to have friends" her lips quiver. I pulled her closer to my chest and kissed her forehead. "What did he do sweetie?" I asked.

"He beat that guy who give me nice flower" she said sniffling a bit.

"It's gave, love and did he do anything after that?" I asked. She shook her head in reply. "Have you tried to talk to anybody?"

She again shook her head in reply. "Baby how can you blame your brother if you haven't tried? He will not do anything to you or your friends. Give him a chance. He loves you" I smiled at him. Raine thought for a while, then smiled back at me. She kissed my cheek and hopped off my lap and ran towards her brother and said something to him. Ryker smiled at her and hugged her. They both ran hand in hand towards a swing and Ryker helped Raine sit in one and pushed her from behind.

I sat there with a smile on my face and I wished that Ryker and Raine shouldn't be separated, no matter what. A thought crossed my mind. Do I have any brother or sister? And if so will they be looking for me? I was so busy with my kids that I didn't get anytime to find out about my past. Who was I and where was I from?

It was past two in the afternoon and the kids came running towards me whining about how much hungry they were. I chuckled and took their hands in mine and walked down the street towards a diner around the corner. Suddenly a wet drop fell on my arm I looked up and several drops followed soon.

The kids squealed in joy but I didn't want them to get wet but by the time we found a shelter they were soaking wet.

"Sapphire?" Someone called from behind me. I found Jane, the head of the maids in Caleb's hotel looking back at me with a horrified look. "Oh my! You are soaking wet and so are the kids. Come in I'll give you some towels" she said and pulled us in. That's when I realised we took a shelter under ' The McKenzie's ' Caleb's hotel.

"No Jane it's alright" I said. "Nonsense" she scoffed. "We don't want the kids to get sick and nor do you" she looked at me with stern eyes like the way I look at Ryker when he is being stubborn.

Jane is a women in her 40's with grey hair that hasn't turned grey under the sun. That's what she says.

She took us towards her small cabin and bought three big fluffy towels. "Here, you can change in this" She gave me a beautiful yellow floral summer dress. I was about to deny when she just shoved the towel in my hands and walked away and took the kids too to get them changed. I sighed and walked in the small washroom in her cabin and got myself dried and changed in the dress. I towel dried my hair and left it to dry on it's own.

I shoved my wet clothes in the bag I had and walked out of the cabin. I crossed a brown oak door with CALEB MC'KENZIE written over it . I smiled at it and decided to give him a little surprise.

I opened the door and walked in with a wide smile.

Caleb looked up from his file and smiled back at me. The two men sitting in front of him didn't turned though.

"Sapphire! I'm a bit a busy" Caleb apologized and looked at the suited men in front of them.

"I'm so sorry. I'll wait outside" I said. That's the moment when the two mens whipped their behind so fast I really wondered if they got a sprain in their neck or something.

My eyes found the brown eyes of the older man sitting. He had dark circles under his eyes but he did look a man with power. Then my eyes shifted towards a pair of beautiful blue eyes. They were familiar but I couldn't quite pin point where. I frowned in confusion but the smile on my face never left my face.

Before I could take a look at his face, the older man stood up and walked towards me with tears in eyes. He cupped my cheeks as tears rolled down his eyes. I don't know why, but I didn't like it. Like a reflex my hand lifted and wiped away his tears.

"Alison!" He breathed in utter joy and relief and hugged me.

Alison? Who is she?

****