2.1 - Her New Life

Start from the beginning

"Get in fast" Caleb shouted from the driver seat as I buckled Ryker safely in his seat after doing the same with Raine. "Calm down" I said and slided down in the passenger seat buckling myself up. "Why are you so anxious anyway?" I asked him and looked behind to find Raine and Ryker looking on either side of the windows with hands across their chest and an angry pout.

Just great. I leave them for two minutes and they already fought.

"I have a meeting next week with a big hotelier and if we crack this deal I will be able to bare my roots in New York" he said.

"That's great Cal. When is this meeting?" I asked excited. "Next week" he replied.

"Then what's the matter?" I asked confused by his behaviour.

He looked at the rear view mirror to see the kids glaring at each other. "Maybe later" he gave me a look and I nodded in understanding. Soon we reached the kids school and unbuckled them. Caleb and I crouched down in front of them as they stood patiently with their cute little bags on their shoulders.

"Best of luck kids and stay safe. Make alot of friends but choose the good crowd" I said and brushed Ryker's hair away from his forehead. "and Ry. Take care of your sister" Caleb added. Ryker answered us by holding Raine's hand in his.

We waved them goodbye as they walked in hand in hand.

"Next stop, the cafe" Caleb smiled his pearly white smiled and buckled himself as I did the same. The ride was silent beside the soft humming of a classical song from the radio. I noticed the stiff look on Caleb amd honestly I was worried about him. The dark circles beaneath his eyes gave away alot.

I kept my hand on his that rested on his lap.

"I know this deal is important but you must take care of yourself Caleb. I know you didn't have lunch and dinner yesterday and from the dark circles you also didn't sleep well" I said. He looked me and squeezed my hand on his lap. Suddenly he looked a lot tired than before.

"I don't know Saph. This is something I will be doing on my own. This is something that will be named as Caleb McKenzie's work not Joseph McKenzie" He sighed slumping his shoulders. By now we were pulled over in front of my cafe. I rubbed his shoulders to comfort him.

Caleb is one of those people who like to be independent and stand on their own feet and I was proud of him for that.

"Caleb I trust you, the twins trust you, Joe trust you and now it's time you should trust yourself. Don't prepare for this deal like a businessman. Prepare for this deal like Caleb McKenzie who wants to build something that can be called his" I encouraged him with a smile. He looked into my eyes and smiled before nodding his head.

My smile grew wider and I got out of the car waving him goodbye till he disappeared fron my sight.

I turned around and looked at my second home,my cafe - McKenzie's. Few years after my accident we figured that I loved baking and my coffee were the best, according to Caleb and about the baking, my kids said so.

After 4 years of convincing me Caleb built me this cafe, far away from the big hotels and diners of Amsterdam. This cafe is a place where you can come to have a break from your busy life and enjoy some quality time looking at the splendid view of greenary behind the cafe.

The bell above the door dinged announcing my arrival as I entered the cafe. The strong brew of coffee hit me giving me a feeling of home.

"Sapphire" Judy, exclaimed in relief as I made my way towards the counter. There was no rush in the cafe expect few people who were already tended to, then why was she so worried?

"What happened Judy?" I asked.

"There's a three layer red velvet cake order and they'll be here to pick it up by 5" she said slightly worried. I just smiled at her.

"Don't worry I'll do it. You just handle here" I said and entered the kitchen tying an apron around me. "The kid ate the cake here few days ago and she demanded her mother to have that cake for her birthday party tonight" Judy informed me.

"Oh! So it is for a birthday girl? Then the cake must me more delicious then I usually make" I winked at Judy and started removing the ingredients I need. Judy rolled her eyes and went back as the bell chimed announcing a customer.

It took me 5 hours to finally complete the cake. I was done by 3 so I decided to do something more. Though my hands were busy but my mind continued to wander back to my kids. Are they enjoying? Are they safe? And so many thoughts raced my mind. I can't help it.

Mother's heart.

I was washing my face to get rid of the flour when Judy came in "They've arrived" she said with nervousness.

"They?" I asked and wiped my face clean. "Yeah the one who ordered the cake" I opened my mouth in realisation and removed the apron around my neck and followed Judy to the front.

A lady stood in front of me with her brunette hair tied neatly in a bun and dressed simply but yet elegantly with her was a cute little girl, maybe around five years with blonde hair tied in pigtails and her brown eyes eyed the cookies that were kept on display. I chuckled under my breath. Kids.

"Hello, I'm here to pick up the cake order" the lady said in a gentle tone. I smiled at her. "It's ready ma'am. We'll help you load it in your car" I said to her and nodded at Judy to do the necessary work.

I took the white cookie box in which I had freshly baked ice-cream cookies that all the kids love and a small red rose for the birthday girl. I crouched down in front of her with the biggest smile on my face.

"Hello there, beautiful" I said to which she blushed and hid behind the lady but peeked at me shyly. Kids are so adorable.

"These is a small present for the birthday girl" I said and extended the box towards her. She looked at it then back at me and then back at the box before slowly coming forward and holding the box with her small hands. I caught the box from below as I know she won't be able to carry it. She looked up at the lady and handed her the box.

"And this too" I said and gave her the small red rose that matched the colour of her cheeks. She accepted and sniffed it before smiling widely at me. She came near me and kissed my cheek. "Your welcome, beautiful" I said and tapped her nose.

"Come on Siana we need to leave" the lady said urging the girl to move.

"Siana? That's a unique name" I commented but by then the lady and the girl were out of the door. She waved at me as their car left to which I waved back.

~~~~~~

I was about to go to sleep when the front door opened. Besides me only Caleb has a key but why is he here at midnight? I switched on the light and Caleb looked tired than morning with his tie loosened to the point that it's knot will be undone any moment, few buttons were undone and his sleeves were folded till his elbows while his blazer was nowhere to be found.

I was beginning to worry about him now.

"Caleb?" I called him and helped him towards the near room that happens to be mine. I made him seat on my bed. He was weak to even talk now. He opened his mouth to say something but I shut him up.

"You need rest" I said and laid him down removing his shoes, shocks, tie and unbuckling his belt.

What? the poor guy needs to sleep without any disturbance.

I brushed his hair out of his face to look at his now peaceful face. He was out like a light as soon as his face hit the pillow. I kissed his forehead and covered him with the duvet before switching off the light and checking on my munchkins who were also fast asleep in their bed.

When they came back from school I was more then happy when they began to tell me about the friends they've made and how much they enjoyed. Now maybe I can be a little less worried about them tomorrow.

****