Chapter 2

Last week went so fast, I walk into school on a Tuesday morning and the first thing I see is not corridors filled with students, but colourful papers covering the walls and lockers. I spot Carol standing by the drink tap closest to our lockers, she's talking to someone, someone I don't quiet recognize from the back of their head. I start to grow curious, so I slowly walk toward them, dodging the students who have now filled the corridors with chatter.

I start to feel a tingle in my feet, my palms begin to get sweaty, I think I'm growing nervous but don't know why. I'm a few lockers away when Carol lifts her head up and begins to wave her hand at me, that's when I see who she is talking to, he turns around to try and find out who she is waving to, I can feel his eyes fall on my as he sees me waving back to Carol. An awkward grin spreads on my face as I stop right in front of them both, only a foot space now between Nathan and I.

'Have you seen the flyers?' Nathan and Carol say in unison.

It seems so strange as they barely know each other and throughout the whole time, even as an embarrassed smile formed on his lips his eyes never left the connection with mine. I couldn’t explain the warm feeling growing inside, the beating of my heart getting louder and faster in my ears, the way it felt like he was looking deeper into my soul then just looking at me or into my eyes, the feeling I have longed to feel toward anyone, the kind of stuff happening between two people you would only see in movies or read in a book.

The moment was ruined as Carol waves a hand in front of both of our faces, looking at me still waiting for my answer, my cheeks flush bright red, I could feel them burning up with embarrassment.

I turn and look Carol in the eyes giving her my full attention, 'I've seen them, but have no clue what they say.'

'They say that we are having a special parade today!'

'But it's only Tuesday.'

'Exactly.'

'But what could be so special about today's parade?'

Carol was then saved by the bell, which was closely followed by the chiming music of the loudspeaker starting up.

'Attention all students! Today there will be a special parade on, so please calmly make your way to the great hall,' beamed the voice of our principal.

We both slowly walk, dragging our feet.

'Nathan's only been here for like a week, and you're already talking in unison?'

Carol stops in her tracks, like she's thinking of a way to answer my question.

'We were just talking Kiara, nothing else, just trying to get to know each other. Why? You jealous?'

I could not believe that Carol had just pulled the jealousy card on me, why would I be jealous if she or any other girl was talking to Nathan?

'No I am not jealous. Why did you even pull the jealousy card out?'

'Ummm, hello? Earth to Kiara. Did you not just make eye contact with him for longer than a minute, how clumsy and shy you get when you are around him? I also notice you looking over at him when he is around, and the way I notice you when you get all shifty when other girls are talking to him.'

I would just have to say, that even though we have only been friends for the past two years when I moved here, but she knows me pretty well, possibly better than I know myself. The chance of being anything more than friends with Nathan were very, very slim, as there are a whole lot of other girls in the school, and yet also the world.

'I... I didn't think it was that obvious. But who cares if I may like him, he has all these other girls to choose,' I say pointing around at all the girls surrounding us in the great hall as we make our way to the very front row.