9.1 || Field Experience

WHEN JOSH IMAGINED a life where dragons existed and became soul-bound to humans, he never thought it would include chores. Yet here he was, swinging a hoe into soil in the Sanctuary's agricultural zone.

He pursed his lips as he swung again. Okay, but maybe I'm connected to lightning because I strike fast?

Ioana has proven more than enough that you don't strike fast enough.

Geez, Boomer. Thanks for the reminder, Josh grumbled. He sighed. I really wish that rushing into stuff would have been the answer.

Akachi had made a remark about it during a sparring session, but no matter how much Josh focused on rushing in during a fight, he didn't feel anything.

Maybe I'm not connected to lightning.

Don't speak such foul words, Boomer said. If you're bonded to me, you have to be connected to the coolest element.

Josh rested his hoe on the ground, leaning against it while taking a water bottle out of his pocket. He examined those around him while he took a long swig. A handful of unbonded people worked to till the field as well.

He glanced past them to the entrance of the Sanctum. The shift should only last a few more minutes, and then he could go find Boomer and enjoy some shade.

It's been a month, and I've got nothing, Josh finally said as he went back to work. Either it's not lightning or I really suck at this.

Boomer huffed. Maybe if you weren't distracted by Mara during all your lessons with Hisato...

"Josh!" someone called before he could reply.

Did I just summon her? Boomer asked.

Josh perked up as he turned toward the voice. Mara stood at the entrance of the area. She waved him over when she saw him looking.

If you have that power, you've gotta teach me, Josh said as he walked in her direction.

You would melt into a puddle if you were around her too much.

Josh rolled his eyes. When he arrived, Mara was talking to Ines, the woman who watched over the agriculture work.

"—from Xander," Mara said.

Ines glanced at Josh then nodded. "Alright," she said, a slight accent hanging on her words. "I will see you next Saturday, Joshua." She waved to both of them before walking back to the field and barking orders at her brother in Spanish.

"So glad I'm not him," Josh mused. He turned to Mara, a smile growing on his face. "You come to save me from the rest of my shift?"

She rolled her eyes. "This doesn't even make you break a sweat."

He shrugged. "Doesn't make it any less boring. Talking to Boomer can only entertain me for so long."

Hey!

Josh fought off a smirk. Payback, he said.

Mara chuckled. "I suppose so." She started into the Sanctuary, motioning for Josh to follow. When he did, she continued. "Xander sent me to find you."

Josh's eyebrows shot up. That would explain what she said to Ines. "What for?"

"He thought it would be a good time to give you some field experience."

Josh nearly jerked to a stop. "Field experience?" he echoed, unable to hide the hitch of excitement in his voice. He doubted that Xander meant the type of field experience Josh was just doing, which could leave only one other meaning. "I get to do some Paladin work?"