Chapter 1: Spring

12 years later.
------------------------

A ray of light shown through the slightly parted curtain of the window, shining brightly onto my pale face. The sudden burst of light woke me from my slumber, causing me to stir in the grey cotton sheets. My eyes slowly open to be met with the ceiling of the dull room. I stare at the ceiling for what seemed like hours, but it was only seconds as my eyes were slowly adjusting to the light that filled the room. I let out a rough sigh and swung my legs over the edge of the bed, my feet hitting the cold, wooden floor boards. I flinch at the feeling, but then it slowly subsided as my natural body heat adjusted to the coldness. 

I rub my eyes to get rid of the groggy feeling and look around the empty room that was usually filled with screaming children. The once white walls were now more of a cream color and in need of a fresh coat of paint. Crayons and different arrangements of toys were sprawled across the floor from the children and waiting for someone to trip over them. There were 6 other beds in the room, all of them left a mess instead of being made nice and neat. 

Miss Jane won't be happy about this. I thought. I stood up, away from the bed and made it, like everyone was supposed to. I took my time around the room, picking up every toy and making every bed the way it was suppose to be, then I made my way out of the room into the blinding light of the hallway. 

A yawn escaped my mouth as I stepped out of the room to be engulfed by a sweet and savory aroma. "Oh, Jo," I heard a voice to my right and turned my head quickly to see Miss Jane. "I see you are finally awake. Care to join all of us downstairs?" I blink once then nodded my head in return and watched her waddle away, her short red curls bounced as she made her way down the hallway then down the stairs. Miss Jane was my caretaker, my guardian, and she has been for the past 12 years. She was a middle age woman, probably around her mid 40's, and was very spunky. She had this aura to her that always made me feel at ease with the world around me. Maybe it was the way her bright blue eyes sparkled, or maybe it was the way she smiled that always seemed to bring me back to reality. The way her chubby cheeks grew bigger as her smile grew wider, making her face light up like the sun. She was a gem that never dulled in this cruel world. Unlike myself.

I was brought back from my daze by the sound of my stomach growling, practically begging to be filled. The aroma that filled the hallway hit my nostrils once more, making my legs move towards the smell. The dark oak floorboards were smooth under my feet as I glided my way down the stairs into the open lobby.

If you were to walk through the front door you would find yourself in a comfortable yet dark place. The walls were filled with a deep, rich red color that was lined with bright white trim all along the the walls that were adorned with different portraits paintings. Directly in front of you would be the sofa, a black, leather one at that, with a dark oak coffee table to compliment it. To your right would be the front desk where Miss Jane would usually sit, sorting through papers and different documents throughout the day. To the left of the desk was an archway that lead straight to the kitchen and dining room areas. Then finally to your left would be the staircase, where I stood, emotionless and exhausted.

My feet moved forward towards the kitchen, racing towards the heavenly aroma that smelled vaguely like bacon and eggs. My mouth started to moisten as the smell grew stronger and I drew closer to it. I started to wake up a little more as the seconds flew by and the chattering of children grew louder.

The atmosphere changed as I finally stepped into the dining room area, immediately being enveloped in laughter and high pitched voices of young children. The excitement of the room seemed to have woken me up entirely as I covered my ears from a scream to my left, which sent everyone into an uproar.

"Alright! That's enough!" Suddenly Miss Jane emerges from the depths of the kitchen. In her small hands, she held a large metal tray filled with breakfast essentials. The children eyeballed the tray in anticipation and their mouths started to water. "Did everyone wash their hands before sitting their bums in the seats," she asked, eyeing each and every one of the children seeing how many would cave to her nasty glare. Everyone just smiled and nodded. "Okay. I'll believe you all." She smirks and turns her head towards the closest kid, making him jump back a little before giggling. "For now." With that being said she set the tray of food in the middle of the table.