Chapter 37 Yesteryear

Start from the beginning

"Sasha said she hasn't opened the book," Malcolm says quietly. "I thought it could keep you company while you had some time to yourself. If anything changes, if anything comes up, someone will come get you. Okay?"

I nod my head, my entire upper body moving slightly back and forth with the motion. "I'll be here,"

"I wish I knew what Micah was feeling," Malcolm mutters quietly. "What he was thinking. Chris told me how Micah hovered over your little she-kitt while she changed, how he comforted her ... then to come here to this ... " Malcolm sighs heavily and I turn my face away. I don't want anyone to offer a defence of what has happened.

I sit and listen as Malcolm gets to his feet, he takes his time before turning and heading back down towards the homestead. I glance past him and I can see several of the toms lingering around, glancing up towards us in an almost casual way. I wait until he is almost down at the buildings before I carefully unwrap the cloth and gently stroke the leather bound cover. The pages want to stick slightly as I gently open the book, the first page clings to the inside of the cover for a moment or two before falling open.

Jeddah Black

I turn the page, and stare at the images in the two photographs that look back at me. The first photograph has two women and a preteen girl in it, there is a strong resemblance between the three of them and I study them closely. The oldest woman sits in a chair glancing down at the young girl sitting on the ground who is looking up, head tossed back, a delighted smile curving softly parted lips. The woman who stands slightly to the side and behind the chair has a bemused expression on her face, her eyes slanted slightly downwards to check on the girl.

But it is the second picture that draws and holds my attention. A white edged colour portrait of a woman who must be in her late teens, early twenties. She faces the camera straight on, black hair cut in a feathery pixie style to chin length that holds a glimmer of deep auburn highlights where the sunlight hits it from the left.

It feels eerie to look into the face. Her eyes are a deep indigo blue, almost navy in their deep intensity, her skin, her colouring, hinting at something more than Caucasian in her blood.

My mother. I am so like her, yet so different. She has the sharper, tending towards slightly masculine features more like my brothers and Kurt Black while my face is softer, more full and rounder. I glance up to the top picture and I can see traces of facial features I have inherited from the woman who must be my Great grandmother.

"Hallo Jeddah," I murmur looking at those eyes so like mine in shape and suddenly it is as if I am not alone. I can almost feel her presence in the very air around me.

I turn the page and look at the neat writing on the page. I don't read each entry just let my gaze skip over the words, falling where it will.

A week from today is my birthday! I will be fifteen!

Mount Warning is singing and I am going to go play in the bush on the slopes

Mum wants to take me to town to get a dress for my party but Mother Rosa told her days like today are for running wild in the hills

I don't think mother likes the idea but all of my brothers will be there plus Kurt's partner Trell and Blackie's partner Albie.

I can't wait to be on the mountain

.........

I'm grounded for a month! It is so not fair! If either of my younger brothers wonder off in town its no bother! But when I sneak off to go to a movie by myself it's a MAJOR crime!