Cure or killer

Chapter 32

"What do you mean...oh," said Thranduil, realizing that this was where the part of Legolas's mind that he currently had access toended.

The memories were hidden behind this wall.

"How are we going to get through it?" Elrond asked, feeling the wall. "It's completely solid."

"There will be a crack somewhere," Galadriel murmured, running her hands along the wall. "There always is."

They continued to search, rubbing their hands along the wall in silence.

'That tickles, Adar!' came Legolas's voice, and then a laugh. Thranduil smiled as he continued to feel along the barriers of Legolas's mind.

"Here!" Galadriel called. She was standing a little to his left. He ran over to her.

"What is it?" he asked, and then looked at the part of the wall where her hands were. There was a tiny crack in the wall, and blue and green light was shining through.

He reached for the light and as it touched him, it surrounded him in the warmth and love that he had always associated with Legolas. A picture filled his mind of his wife, laughing wildly, held in the gentle embrace of a tree in the forest of her home, her eyes bright.

"This is the weak spot," Galadriel said.

"His mother," Thranduil whispered. "That is his weakness. Even the poison could not hide his love for her."

"And someone else, too," Galadriel said, catching some of the magical-looking light and handing it to Thranduil.

His own face flashed before his eyes, whispering comforting words and pulling the covers over his little elfling, who was desperately trying to escape the covers and run away. He tickled Legolas on the stomach, which made him laugh hysterically and struggle to escape his fingers.

The memory faded into nothing, and he threw the magic into the air. The memory played once more, this time large enough to surround them. It faded again at the end.

'I remember!' Legolas said excitedly. 'I remember something!'

"Good job, ion-nin!" Thranduil said, and he felt the waves of pride going through Legolas's mind around them.

"If we can make a substantial gap in the wall, most of the memories will come out without us having to do anything," said Galadriel. Thranduil nodded.

"Legolas, this is going to feel a little strange," said Galadriel. "It will not hurt, though."

'Okay!' Legolas thought. 'Hit me with your strangest shot!'

Elrond stifled a laugh and came up next to them.

"Alright, Galadriel. Show us what we need to do," he said, and Galadriel nodded. She put her fingertips into the crack, and she pulled a little at the edges. Some of the wall fell away, and the amount of memories coming out of it increased tenfold. They poured out and each of them played out in the darkness in front of them. There were memories as an elfling, as an adult, and as everything in between. There were fights, wins, losses, patrols, and moments with family and friends, both good and bad.

"See, you just have to pull the wall away," Galadriel said. Thranduil and Elrond nodded, and they turned away from the memories that were currently playing above their heads and began to pull away chunks of the wall.

Thranduil pulled away one piece, a large one that was about the size of his head. It was rough in his hands like a real rock would be, and the minute he removed it, the ones around it began to crumble. They fell quickly, and soon the entire section of the wall had fallen. The rest of it began to follow suit.