Memories

Hi guys! I'm back!

Chapter 31

Galadriel smiled at the memory.

"When the company arrived, I was watching them approach from a flet. I noticed something wrong with Legolas the minute I saw him. I had never met him, but no elf was meant to be as skittish and afraid as he was when entering my realm. I have never seen anything like it, before or since.

"When I brought the Fellowship to the main hall to eat, Legolas was the only one who hadn't got any food yet. When I noticed, I looked at him. He looked very scared, so I touched his mind. He screamed at me not to touch him and ran outside.

"Aragorn then told me that Mithrandir had supposedly perished. I realized why he was so troubled and followed him. He was sitting on a rock over a lake about an hour's run into the forest.

"I managed to comfort him, and he smiled for the first time. For the rest of their stay, the rest of the company was fairly cautious and closed off to the rest of us here, but Legolas was so open, we were all dumbfounded. His smile melted the hearts of every elf in my entire realm. I've never seen anyone like him.

"Because of his beauty inside and out, we named him liindaseldo. Everyone was upset when he left, but his beauty left us all in awe of him. We will never forget those days.

"And now he has returned! But he is hurt, and we must help him. We will help liindaseldo regain the beauty we knew him for!"

Everyone around the table gave a little cheer, which was interrupted by a groan from the floor where Legolas was lying.

Immediately everyone stood, but Galadriel told them all to sit again and made her way to Legolas with Celeborn. She kneeled by his side, taking his cold hand.

"Liindaseldo?" she said, squeezing his hand gently. "Are you with us, Legolas?"

Legolas opened his eyes, immediately closing them again and then opening them more slowly. She watched as his pupils adjusted to the light as he peered up at her.

"Who are you?" he croaked, his lips dry and eyes blurry.

Galadriel felt her heart shatter at the confusion. It struck her, then, why the rest of the group was so weighed down. Legolas had lost his memories.

"My name is Galadriel, Lady of Lorien, and this is my husband, Lord Celeborn," she said, hiding the sadness in her eyes behind a mask of serenity. "So, how do you fare, Legolas?"

"I...I am alright...I think," he said, looking up at her, tilting his head like a cat would as he examined her face.

"You're pretty," he declared, and she turned to see Thranduil blushing furiously. She raised an eyebrow at him and laughed, causing him to flush even more. She turned back to Legolas, who joined in on her laughter, before it abruptly turned into a grunt of pain.

"What is it, Legolas?" she said. She was trying very hard not to call him liindaseldo so as not to confuse him. At least they both started with 'l' so if she started to call him by his nickname she could change it halfway.

"Hurts," he said. "I fell off my horse. It was...what was the dwarf's name again? Gimi? Yes, it was Gimi's fault."

"Gim-li, lad," said Gimli from the table. "There's an 'l' in there."

"Ah, yes. Sorry, Gilmi," Legolas said. Gimli banged his head against the table in an act of resignation.

"Now, Legolas, I need to speak with your father for a moment," Galadriel said, standing up and moving towards the table. "You may talk to Celeborn."

"Okay!" Legolas chirped, looking at the elf-lord and beginning to speak excitedly.

"Thranduil," Galadriel said, sitting next to the king and whispering softly in his ear. "If you want, I could bring his memories back."

"Of course!" Thranduil said, nodding vigorously.

"Think, Thranduil," Galadriel said firmly. "Do not answer so quickly. You have the chance to get him to grow up again, properly this time. Do not throw it away lightly."

Thranduil paused, looking conflicted.

"I...I want him to have his memories back," he said. "I want my son back, not a child. He was beautiful the way he was, even with suffering he had to endure."

Galadriel nodded, standing up again. She went to kneel by Legolas, and waited until he had finished telling Celeborn whatever story he was telling him.

"Well, Legolas," she said. "I can give you your memories back. Do you want me to?"

Legolas nodded, and he looked up at her with pleading eyes.

"Do it! I don't want everyone to be sad about me not being able to remember anymore."

She opened her mouth, but his finger on her lips silenced her.

"Do not tell me it didn't make you sad. I saw it in your eyes. Don't lie to me. It makes me feel angry and upset."

She merely nodded, stunned by his honesty.

"Elrond, Thranduil," she said. "Come. I will need your help."

The two elves looked startled, but they stood and came to stand by her. Celeborn went back to the table, knowing he would just be in the way.

"Thranduil, Elrond and I will come into your mind," she said. "Then you will find your bond with Legolas. Once we get in his mind, follow me. I will show you where to go and what to do."

The two elves nodded and she turned back to Legolas.

"Legolas, you might want to lie down."

He did as she said, but looked at her anxiously.

"Is it gonna hurt?" he asked, looking like he was ready to panic.

"No, Greenleaf. It will not hurt. It just might take a little while, and I want you to be comfortable."

Legolas didn't look entirely convinced, but he nodded anyway.

"Alright," Galadriel said. "Let's begin."

She closed her eyes, as did Elrond and Thranduil. She reached for Thranduil's consciousness.

Thranduil felt Elrond and Galadriel approach his mind, and he lowered his barriers and allowed them to access. They entered, and he delved into his head toward where he knew the bond to be. They followed him, which was one of the strangest feelings he had ever had. No one had ever come into this part of his mind, it was his sacred space.

He touched the bond, and it created a bridge of sorts toward Legolas's half of it. He, being accustomed to it, had no trouble stepping onto the bridge and quickly, without falling, run across it into Legolas's mind, which had no barriers now that he had no need for them.

Elrond and Galadriel had a little more trouble, and it took them slightly longer to cross the bridge, but they did do it. Together the three of them entered Legolas's mind.

'That feels so weird,' was the first thought that greeted them, painfully loud from the inside of Legolas's head.

"Hello, Legolas," Thranduil said into the blackness.

'Adar? Is that you?'

"Yes."

'Cool! How the heck did you get in there?'

Thranduil chuckled and followed Galadriel and Elrond, who began to wade through Legolas's current thoughts and emotions, trying to reach what was buried in the back of his mind: the forgotten memories from the moment he was born to the present.

It took a few minutes to get there, but eventually they reached what appeared to be the edge of Legolas's head. Galadriel appeared, instead of just being a hazy consciousness she was now a tiny being. Elrond and Thranduil materialized beside her.

Galadriel felt around the dark, bumpy walls with her hands.

"Why isn't it smooth?" Thranduil said. "Aren't the edges of most peoples' minds very smooth?"

"Yes," Galadriel said, looking at him with eyes full of resolve. "That's because this isn't the real edge."