Ada

The Fellowship, if they had not had to face the perils they did, would not have bonded as strongly. However, maybe facing all the dangers in the world were worth it to get such a diverse group as friends.

It was thus that Gimli son of Gloin mused as he and two of the most important friends he made on the Quest travelled along the wooden paths of what was once the most beautiful or elven realms. Greenwood the Great, once brought into shadow and shamed by the name of Mirkwood, was finally growing back to what it once had been, not that he had been there to witness its original glory.Legolas, the only member of the Fellowship who was a native to these strange lands, was nowhere to be seen. The minute he had entered the realm he had disappeared into the trees of his homeland, and had not been heard from since.

"It may be a good idea to stop and rest," Aragorn said. "We are only a few hours from Thranduil's palace, but without Legolas accompanying us I fear we shall not be welcomed as warmly. It would do us good to wait for him here."

"Aye," Gimli said, before frowning. "But I have once concern. Getting off this stupid horse by myself may be a challenge." He was not ashamed to admit this because, over their time spent together, Aragorn would already know this, he was sure.

Aragorn dismounted easily off his own stallion and came over to Gimli.

"Come, Master Dwarf," he said, holding a hand out. "I shall aid you."

"Do you know who you sound like?" Gimli grumbled as he was lifted off the horse and placed gently on the ground. "The elf. 'Master Dwarf' this and 'Master Dwarf' that."

"Ah, Master Dwarf, I did not know you were so easily offended."

Aragorn and Gimli whipped around in surprise at the new voice, only to find their elven companion standing before them, grinning.

"Ah, Legolas! We were just stopping to wait for you," said Aragorn.

"I know," said Legolas, still grinning.

"You know? How could you know, laddie? You've been up in them trees all day long," Gimli said, noting that Aragorn was getting ready to start moving again, now that Legolas had appeared. How was he going to get back on that stupid horse?

Legolas lifted Gimli up smoothly onto the horse, noting his friend's predicament, before starting to mount the beast himself.

"Let us move swiftly, for we are not—" Aragorn began, but he was silenced by a hand that was slapped over his mouth. Looking down at the pale, slender fingers, he knew it was Legolas who had stopped him. His heart raced. Something was wrong.

Legolas's eyes scanned the trees and brush growing around them, but they found nothing, only the normal things in the forest. Everything was silent. What had alerted him? Something in his heart had told him something was near, but not who or what it was.

"I am sorry," he muttered after a few more minutes of tense silence. "I thought that I felt something. I must have been mistaken."

Gimli and Aragorn nodded, not entirely convinced. The prince had never been wrong before.

"So, Legolas, how will you greet your father?" asked Gimli as they began riding again. "You know, with the whole being royal thing?"

"Ah," said Legolas, placing a hand on his chin in thought. "I hadn't thought about it before. I will probably something along the lines of 'Well met, Vardar-nin, or my King. I have returned from my quest', if there are others around and I have to be formal. How does that sound?"

"Very offi—," said Gimli, before being cut off by Legolas abruptly stopping the horse and going rigid. Aragorn and Gimli fell silent one again as Legolas listened and looked intently.