Chapter 15 - The Break-out

Start from the beginning

“And you are sure we can’t just ask to leave?”

“Absolutely. Especially with how often the attacks have occurred recently.” She held up her hands as proof. It was pure luck that her mother hadn’t noticed them. But then again, she hadn’t precisely wanted to go to her either—no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t shake the feeling of betrayal off.

“I thought you said that Annabell was responsible for that though,” he said. Miriam thought about what to answer, but he continued talking before she got any chance to interject.

“Are you even sure that girl is your sister? I mean, it sounds a little weird that they’ll just ask you for help out of the sudden,” he said. The change of subject seemed strange.

“I’m positive, there’s the fact about the adoption, and then this mental link.”

Blake nodded slowly. He didn’t appear to be convinced but apparently decided to let it drop.

“Well, if we had a way to get past the gates and then the guards. It would be easy enough,” he said.

“Easy how?”

“Well, I can just ask permission to take you for a walk around the garden,” he explained with a gorgeous smile that made Miriam’s knees turn weak. So happy that I’m sitting down right now.

“I guess so,” she said with a nervous laugh and a loving smile. He surely was superb in every aspect.

‘We can take care of the guards,’ Annabell’s voice rang through her head.

‘Are you listening in again? I would really like it if you didn’t do that,’ Miriam thought back

‘Why? You afraid I’m going to call you out on your school-girl crush?’ Annabell was mocking her—Miriam could feel it. She hissed loudly in response, which earned her a puzzled glance from Blake.

She pointed to her head. With a roll of her eyes, she explained, “My head is being used as an intercom again.”

“What do they say?”

“They’re saying that they can take care of the guards,” she said.

‘Yeah. Just be there around ten pm tonight, we will just take a refreshing shower before meeting up with you guys,’ Annabell interrupted again.

‘You won’t kill them, right?’ Miriam had to be sure. This whole ordeal was starting to sound more dangerous than she preferred. She was frightened of the repercussions of their actions. Besides, she refused to hurt anyone by doing this.

No! Of course not!’ it sounded back almost immediately. Miriam exhaled deeply at that, it was nice to know that they at least agreed on this particular case. She felt more relaxed after that.

As she ran over the plan with Blake, she couldn’t stop noticing how eager he looked. For some reason, she couldn’t discern if it was because he was just that bored inside these walls, or if there was something else besides. It didn’t take them long to part ways, each of them going to their room to pack a bag.

‘How long do you reckon we will be gone?’ she asked Annabell, wondering how much she should take with her.

‘Just pack enough, but not too much. I don’t even have any clothes. You should see the ridiculous stuff I’m wearing right now. Joshua bought me something from a second hand shop in town. I look like a boy,’ her sister complained. Miriam could hear a mental sigh at the end, which made Miriam giggle.

‘I’m sure Joshua doesn’t think so…’ she teased. The growl she got in response made her burst out in laughter. She was laughing so hard that her stomach ached. It didn’t help when Annabell started cursing at her either—she was just too cute.