“We don't know unless you ID him.” She replied.

I followed her to where I had to identify him. Andy trailed behind me, mumbling things under his breath. Before we entered the room, he grabbed my wrist, holding me back.

“Rose, I had no idea it happened like that, I'm so sorry. Listen, if you can't identify him, it doesn't matter. Don't beat yourself up about it.” He brushed some hair out of my face, two fingers resting on my cheek. He spoke softly, his eyes holding sympathy. I smiled weakly at him, determined to ID the man who did this to me.

I walked into the room and stood in front of a one way mirror.

“Rose, you're going to hear six people and they're going to say what you heard on that night. I want you to tell me if you recognise any of the voices, okay?” Detective Taylor explained. I nodded timidly, wishing Andy could be here.

I heard three out of the six voices speak, repeating the same words from that night. It brought back terrible memories and tears sprung to my eyes. It was now number four's turn in the line up.

The voice snarled the words I heard that night. They lacked conviction but I knew it.

I knew that voice, I heard it in my nightmares.

 My breathing halted and everything just stopped.

“It-it's number four.” I cried. “Four...”

Andy's POV

I waited for her to finish, praying that she got it right if he was there. I wanted this bastard behind bars just as much as she did - maybe even more if that was possible. I remembered that I was going to call one of the guys about what was happening. I dialled Jake's number quickly.

“Hey, how is she?” He picked up on the second ring.

“I don't know.” I sighed. “She's gone to ID him and I wasn't allowed in.”

“Oh, right. But she'll be okay won't she?” He asked, his tone hopeful.

“I hope so, Jake.” I pinched the bridge of my nose, suddenly becoming even more worried. “Do voice IDs even hold up in court?”

“I guess they do when that’s the only thing we’ve got.” Jake spoke, sounding wishful.

“I don’t know what to do.” I confessed.

“Well, just be there for her.” He advised.

“I'll try,” I saw Rose walking around the corner, “can you come and pick us up? I didn’t bring my car. She's here now.”

“Yeah, sure. I'll tell Ashley to swing by.” I ended the call, slipping the phone into my pocket. Rose was walking towards me and she looked awful. She looked to be on the verge of a breakdown. I rushed towards her and wrapped my arms around her, muttering a 'thanks' to the officer.

She sobbed on my shoulder, gripping the back of my shirt.

“Hey, it's alright...” I said soothingly.

“He was there, he was talking and I heard him.” She babbled, her cries taking over her speech. Her grip tightened as if she was reliving everything. I hugged her, smoothing her hair out. I kissed the top of her head and lifted her chin up. Her eyes were red and puffy, her eyeliner smudged under them.

“Let's go home.” I suggested. Rose nodded, not letting go of me. I chuckled trying to lighten the mood.

“You have to let go, Rose.” I smiled.

“Oh, sorry.” Her voice was hoarse from crying so much as she let go of my shirt. I took her hand and wandered outside, waiting for Ashley to call. Right on cue, my phone rang.