Chapter 8b - Confrontation

Start from the beginning

Mark felt alone in the spotlight. The usual approach of the powerful of making a person feel excluded was being used against him. He was well aware of this though. He was used to this feeling and did not intend to let it put him off the course of his argument.

"I am sorry Jim, I have to disagree with you. These options need to be considered, tried and tested. It is the way of scientific endeavour to make the best use of new technological discoveries. Surely you can appreciate this?"

"I respect your determination. You make a good case. The problem is we have already considered that option and decided it to be inadequate, if not positively harmful to our social order. All actions have their unintended consequences. The old approach of natural science never took stock of these consequences until it was too late. We now in the Synergy preempt some acts whose unintended consequences are viewed to be unfavourable. The aim is to form a harmonic relationship with our world, not to control or dominate or exploit it. It was this misguided approach that bequeathed to our generation an over-populated world, under-resourced and unhappy. We intend to change this state of affairs."

"It is all very high-minded ideals you have in mind here. I just don’t buy it. It is too convenient in its conservatism to the current powers that be within society. You are effectively putting blocks to a full rational enquiry and denying our society valuable technology. And for what? The sake of our happiness? It sounds very paternalistic to me."

"These are intended as very provocative terms I’m sure Mark, but nevertheless there simply isn’t any solid support for your alternate proposals in the scientific community. We are doing our best to use our knowledge to get us through these troubling times with our long-term well-being in mind."

A pause in the increasingly heated debate allowed Samantha to get a word in to wrap up the interview. It was clear not much was going to be agreed upon. Both were firmly entrenched in their views. But it had been informative and entertaining. So best to end it now, Samantha thought. She was a prudent person when it came to her job. She knew her audience and how best to influence them.

"This has been a very interesting interview. It is clear there is some division in society regarding the fairness of our institutions. Maybe the debate around genetic selection needs to be brought back into the public domain. Providing we can distance it from the baby culling of the extremists. We have done our bit today for that cause on the Daily Toll. But I have little doubt that love will remain strong in our society. And whatever is implemented based on this extraordinary night at the emergency government conference will leave space for the human spirit to thrive. For without this hope all our struggling through this world crisis will be for nothing. My name is Samantha Swanson reporting for the Daily Toll. Goodnight."

Neither Mark nor Jim were satisfied with this hasty summation. They would have preferred to have a few more shots at each other. Both men stood up and continued arguing while the cameras switched off. George came up to take Mark aside before hie fiery temper got the better of him. Jim watched them move off then walked over to talk to Bobby. Bobby was quite eager to have a stern word with Jim for going against his wishes.

"You have got some nerve. You took a big risk coming down here like that. You gave him an opportunity to bring you down that he hadn’t earned a right to, and on the network no less. You didnt need to do it."

"I can handle myself. You worry too much Bobby. What did you think of it then? I did alright I hope?"

"Yeah you did just fine, you ruffled that guy up a bit I think. But I don’t think thats the end of this. You really think we can afford to ignore all these people. They must have some legitimate complaint to come together like that. It concerns me."

"This has really got you shook up a bit Bobby, you’re normally so cool."

"Yeah well, protests are pretty rare these days, and they look determined, not just desperate. Plus you went against my wishes of course, lets not forget that."

"You’re not going to let that go are you!"

"Lets just say you owe me one."

Jim smiled and patted Bobby on the back then turned towards Samantha. Jim felt so alive and invigorated at the moment. What a night it had been. That girl Samantha had opened up Jim’s mind to the possibilities in life that can come your way. She had her own interests of course and Jim would have to tread carefully. But he felt things were all coming together right now.

Maybe the media were not as bad as he had come to believe. Maybe he could speak up more for his views now in public, and not hide behind the insulation of scientific procedure and decency. Maybe, just maybe, his ideas could come to fruition and become more than just a theory. A reality. It is what he had aspired to his whole career but never dared to proclaim it, even to himself. Looking into Samantha’s eyes they shared a smile and a warm feeling pervaded Jim’s body

...

Samantha was happy with how the debate had gone in the end. She did feel for Mark. He was trying to do a good thing, and his heart seemed to be in the right place. But he was trapped in a one-dimensional view of things. The world was not as simple as that.

On one thing she agreed with him. People need to have hope for the future. And society, as it is, was taking away this hope from a significant portion of the population. Disguising this with a stigmatisation of them, the use of terms such as surplus population to keep them in fear, and the provision of twenty-four hour entertainment to keep them pacified.

Samantha saw this, but felt that what needed to be done was to reach out to people and let them tell their story. It was not to make hasty, radical changes to government policy, based on little scientific research and just to appease a passing desire.

But why had little research been done into this genetic technology? This was something she intended to bring up with Jim.

It had been a night of great incident, things were finally easing down. In Samantha’s eyes some barriers had been broken through tonight in the divided society. In a way that sidestepped political maneovering and got straight to the heart of the issue.

Could this allow them to root out the truly evil extremists within the surplus population? And the very need for the formation of such twisted impulses in the first place? Impulses counter to everything that made life such a wonderful thing? Samantha hoped and dreamed for this better world. She glanced at Jim. Their eyes met. She smiled.

...

Mark saw the shared smile between Jim and Samantha. It didn't make him angry, it just confirmed him in the anger he already had. For Mark this was just the beginning. A testing of the water. He knew now what he was up against. He would come back stronger. Protesting was not the solution. More significant action was called upon. He made his way out of the building. Refusing to answer any questions from the swarm of media people. All he said was one short sentence as he walked off: "This is not over my friends, watch this space!" With that he walked off. Disappearing into the fog of the night.